M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

So a loose bumer is normal for new ML's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WRX wagon, 350ML
So a loose bumer is normal for new ML's?

The subject line is meant in sarcasm. I brought my wife's new ML in to have the second key fob mated to the car and asked the SA to check the apparently loose rear bumper and rocker panel end caps while it was there. I discovered both items while washing the car for the first time. I also asked him what the max revs are, as there is no "redline" on the tachometer. He did not know and stated, "most of our MB owners don't drive their cars in a manner to be worried about that". So I looked it up and found that it is predictably 6K. So, why does MB not put a redline on their ML tachs? Regardless, my everyday car is a manual and I drive my wife's ML as such, so when I'm charging down the onramp it would nice to know the rev limits.

Anyways, the SA stated that the bumper and rocker panel caps were indeed loose, but that this was considered normal. I just smiled and said "as long as its documented". The ML is leased, so I am primarily concerned with liability. This is my first "premium" car, so I am rather bemused by the apparent lack of quality or concern.

So my question to all of you, "is this normal"?
Old 01-09-2003, 04:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
No - I don't think it is "normal" - I just went out and checked and our bumper and caps are not loose.

Frankly I never noticed the lack of a redline - I thought there was but just checked and there isn't. I suppose it is not so important given the automatic transmission and rev limiter, I suppose. I'm just happy there is a tach!
Old 01-09-2003, 04:44 PM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
ML / MBUSA = Premium ??

Sorry to dissappoint you but imho the ML is not much better than a domestic and is certainly no where near the quality and engineering standards of MB of old. Of course there's alot more gizmo's & technolgy = more stuff to go wrong.

But there's way too much domestic content in the ML, this combined with the 'snobby' attitude of MB USA often leads to dissatisfaction.

And yes I'm dissatisfied with my '00 ML430 with it's 26+ warranty problems in 40,000 miles and the 'couldn't care less' attitude of MB.

Unfortunately I paid cash (full MRSP) for my premium vehicle -so I'm stuck with it till the warranty expires - until then MB can pick up the tab for every little thing which goes wrong !

Others have had great experiences with their ML - but alot depends on your dealer. let's hope you don't get to know your SA too well :-)

Last edited by timdf; 01-10-2003 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:24 PM

WRX wagon, 350ML
I did a lot of research on the ML before we pulled the trigger, so I went in with my eyes wide open. From trolling here it seemed that the ML had improved considerably in the last few years, and I'm happy with the overall fit & finish. Plus, I like the ML more each time I drive it. The handling is truly phenomenal compared to every other SUV I have driven.

It just amused me that the SA could not tell me the max revs and that being able to move the end caps back and forth and inch or so is considered normal, not to mention the bumper. I suppose I should have gone and tested a few of the ML's they had on the lot for effect, but to what objective.

The MB customer lounge is a whole heck of a lot nicer than the one at the Subaru dealership, however. Good coffee, biscotti, periodicals, and leather lounge chairs.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
They should be able to fix the bumper under warranty (if this is a 200 or newer - believe the '99 MBs had a shorter warranty? (Could be wrong))

If they don't or won't, you shoul dtry a different dealer - I would be upset if it happened to me.

BTW we are very happy with the quality and reliablity of our 2000 ML320.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
As is Tim, I am also pretty annoyed with MB/MBUSA's snotty attitude toward ML owners that had a lot of trouble w/their vehicle. I will be trying another dealer shortly, will report what happens. They got good ratings by quite a few people. Until I can find a good dealership, this will be our last MB.