M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

I need brakes and maybe rotors- need advice urgently

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00 ML430
Exclamation I need brakes and maybe rotors- need advice urgently

Hi all!

I have a 2000 ML430 and it hasn't seen the inside of the stealership in quite a while. I swear, they see me coming and it's hundreds of dollars. Car's out of warranty anyway. I'm taking it to the local repair guy, who's very honest. I expect him to turn me away if he can't do the work. My question is, with -179 miles on the reader for *next maintenance due* (wrench symbol on dashboard), what needs to be done? I know for a fact that the brakes need replacing, also possibly rotors. The light has been on and off, so not sure if I've worn off the sensor by now. Money's been tight, and I barely drive the car anyway, and when so, only to 3 miles away from the house (kids' school and grocery store).

I don't expect the mechanic to have MB parts handy, so I thought I'd get them for him and save him the hassle...he's on the older side, so it's good in experience. Then I also know what's in there. I've had bad brake dust all over the place and also squeaking. What brake pad should I be looking for and where can I find it? I went over previous threads and found a website that someone quoted, but when I click on the link it says it's not a valid URL.

I have a Checker's auto parts store nearby, I'll give them a call to see if they carry stuff for my car. Thanks for any help you can give me!!! Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-2008, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
I don't own a ML430 but if money is tight, I'd do an oil change at the very least. Since you don't drive that much and, again, money is tight, I'd get the cheapest pads recommended for your year truck from any auto parts store - NAPA, for example. You may not even need rotors - pull tires out and measure rotor thickness to be sure whether or not you need them replaced. You'll still be 100% as safe as OEM at a much cheaper!! You may have brake dust depending on what you pick. Infact, I have a set of pads I purchased for my 05 500 but never used them - I believe they're Pagid pads, I'll have to find the box to confirm. Never used them because I decided to use the newer updated OEM pads which don't squeal at all compared with the older OEMs for my truck! If you want them let me know - I have to look for them. I believe these were for the rears, and I'll charge you very little.

Last edited by Darkmann; 11-28-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML 320
I'm not sure if you have an Autozone in your part of Minnesota, but I've had really good luck with their Duralast brake pads. I've tried others, but these have been the best so far. Stay away from the ceramics pads, I tried those for about a week and removed them. Your rotors may need replacing, MLs are notorious for going through rotors (the fronts especially) quickly. Money's tight for everyone...