M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

A different extended warranty question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2003 | 02:23 PM

Question A different extended warranty question

I have searched the archives and didn't find any info on my particular situation. Thanks in advance for any advice to this newbie on this board.

I bought my ML430 a little over 4 years ago, shortly there after I bought an extended warranty from a dealer other than the one where I bought my car. They had different options, 5 to 8 years and mileage up to 100k. I told the guy that I would have the truck for about 5 years and that I would put about 20K miles on the truck per year. He said that all I needed was the 5year/100K deal which retailed for $800, he sold it to me for $600. He said that the other dealers I talked to were just pushing the higher premium warranties (and higher # of years) that would do nothing but drain my pocket. I thought great, I am golden.

Well I found out today that while I was at the dealer getting a powersteering hose replaced that I am far from golden. The warranty only gave me UP to 5 years. and that since my factory warranty was up in July 01, the extended was expired in July 02.

Has anyone else ran into this? The Customer Care person I talked with on the phone today made it sound as if it was a common occurence and that they have had to send directives to dealers in this matter. I am going to press the issue with the dealer and MBUSA and see if it gets anywhere.

Thanks again,
Greg
Lexington, KY
Old 01-17-2003 | 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
The Mecedes ext.warranty terms can be misleading, but they do include the original warranty mileage and time provisions. You got protection for your 5 years and expected mileage. If you plan on keeping the car longer, there are other companies that can cover repairs.
Old 01-17-2003 | 03:06 PM

"You got protection for your 5 years and expected mileage. "

No I sure didn't. I actually only got 12 months past the time when the factory warranty expired, which was 18 months short of 5 years...
Old 01-18-2003 | 01:31 PM

2003 ML350 Inspiration Edition, 2002 Suburban
Extended warranty issue

Buying the extended warranty had the effect of giving you coverage for a total of five years or 100,000 miles, instead of the original four years or 50,000 miles. It sounds like you thought the extended warranty would protect your M-Class for five years and 100,000 miles beyond the end of the new car warranty, which is not the case. If that is the coverage you desire, there is probably a private extended warranty company that will write a policy, but it will be very expensive.
Old 01-18-2003 | 04:17 PM

Here is what I found out

FYI,
The extended warranties that MB offers are simply extensions for after your base warranty runs out. It says it in the contract that it is for a certain period of time after the 4 year/50K mile runs out or 100K miles, which ever comes first. Choices range from 12 month to 48 months.

I was under the wrong impression that I was covered for a total of 5 years or 100K miles, which ever came first. (including, not in addition to the 4 year factory warranty)
This is the way it was explained to me.
And the reason why I only purchased the "5 year" warranty. I am going to write a letter to MB and see if they will let me extend my contract for another 12 months based on this wrong info that I recieved at the time of warranty purchase.

Best advice I can give to anyone so they are not in my shoes is to READ YOUR CONTRACT VERY THOROUGHLY!!
Old 11-30-2004 | 11:34 AM

Greg F. --Any Update for us on what happened ?