M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ml320 Stuck in 1st gear - Solution: New Battery!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML320

I just wanted to share with other ML320 owners my situation/solution.
I have a 2002 ml320 with 62K miles. For the past month and a half the car would some times not shift out of first gear. To solve the problem I would turn the car off and "reboot" it by restrating the car. Then the car on two different occasions wouldnt start. So I jumped it with a jumper box and it ran fine. Then one day it just wouldnt shift out of 1st gear at alll. I probalby re-started it 20 times! nothing! Thinking I had a serious transmission problem, I took it into the dealer b/c I have an extended warranty that covers most things.
Low and behold it wasnt the transmission, it was a new battery.
I guess the battery was strong enough to start the car but wasnt strong enough to make the electronic transmission shift! crazy...
So if you have a similar situation with your transmission- first try replacing your battery...see if that works.
I hope this sames someone $$ out there from having to buy and overpriced battery at the dealer! -Paul
Old 01-12-2009, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML320, 2010 Ford F150
Maybe. But, when the battery cable is disconnected, it resets the transmission computer and it's shift points, in which you have to 'relearn' it to your driving habits. If the problem occurs again, have your codes pulled with an OBDII scanner. Your CEL does not have to be illuminated to have stored codes. There's also a switch located on the side of your pan that is notorious for leaking fluid and getting the harness plug contaminated with fluid. If that is the case, the switch would need replacing but a temporary solution would be to clean out the plug with a good contact cleaner.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 W163
ARE YOU SERIOUS??????????
Fkkkkkkkkk, My pass 2002 c230k coupe.
HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.
It wouldnt change gear. sometimes it works well, then after i floor it, it stays in the same gear.
I never thought it was the batttery, but the car now is just sitting at home uninsured.
MB wanted to charge me 10000 to fix cause of tranny and mis firing.

DO u think if i change the battery, itmay be the problem?
If this work, you saved me 10000.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML320, 2010 Ford F150
Originally Posted by STi_JL
ARE YOU SERIOUS??????????
Fkkkkkkkkk, My pass 2002 c230k coupe.
HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.
It wouldnt change gear. sometimes it works well, then after i floor it, it stays in the same gear.
I never thought it was the batttery, but the car now is just sitting at home uninsured.
MB wanted to charge me 10000 to fix cause of tranny and mis firing.

DO u think if i change the battery, itmay be the problem?
If this work, you saved me 10000.
Batteries are easy to test. Have it checked by a competent shop that has a load tester. But I doubt that was the problem in your case or the one mentioned. There are numerous things that can cause your transmission to lock in first gear.