M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

2003 ML350 Bi-Xenon Upgrade and Wiring Diagrams

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Porsche Cayenne S, 2002 S430
2003 ML350 Bi-Xenon Upgrade and Wiring Diagrams

I am looking for some assistance from those of you who may have undretaken this upgrade already.......

I have a 2003 ML350 Inspiration with the halogen headlight assemblies. I ordered and received the Performance Products model year 2002 Bi-Xenon headlight upgrade. From what I can tell from a purely visual inspection, the Hella Bi-Xenon assemblies are direct replacements for the halogen assemblies. So, I have a couple of questions....

1. Do I need to use the included adapter cable that Performance Products ships with these kits? I am assuming that these adapter cables are only needed for 2001 and prior model year vehicles, and are NOT needed for 2002 and on (like my 03 model) ML's. Can someone confirm this for me?

2. The Bi-Xenon kits have the auto-level feature integrated into the assembly. The plug is there on the assembly ready to accept what appears to be power and ground (it's a three pole recepticle). The only problem is that there is no readily apparent cable assembly in the wiring harness to connect to the auto-level component. Does anyone know if in fact MB actually assembles the car with different wiring harnesses depending on whether you order Bi-Xenons or not? I hope this is not the case. If not, is there a cable assembly part number that can be ordered and plugged into the existing harness? If no cable harness exists, does anyone have a wiring diagram to know where the auto-level feature is plugged in and how it is wired? Finally, if there is no way to wire the auto-level feature, do I cause problems for myself by NOT using this feature?

3. Once I get the headlights installed, I am assuming that I need to get to the dealer and have them re-program the car's management system so that it knows that Bi-Xenons are installed instead of halogen lights. Is this an easy procedure and will the Service guys really know what to do? I use Park Place MB here in Dallas, and they are pretty good, but you never know what kind of service tech you will come across.....

If you guys can offer suggestions and tips on this, I would really appreciate it. I can document my installation and take pictures and post the results if anyone is interested. Thanks to all for your help on this.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 ML500 W163, 1997 993 C2S, 2008 CL63, 1998 E430W W210
Hi quick question. I am looking for a set of headlight assemblies with the auto level to replace mine. Where did you get them? Any help can be appreciated