M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

2003 ML500 Seat Nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ml500
2003 ML500 Seat Nightmare

The driver seat in my 2003 ML500 inspiration edition is becoming a nightmare.

First problem, The side panel has broken. Can any one confirm that they redesigned the part to be more robust? This happened on my 99 ML 430 and I just lived with it for 70000 miles. I would not replace it but have to address the following issues.

Second problem, at about 45000 miles the back seat heater developed a hot spot. The dealer claimed to fix the problem. I was not the primary driver of this car at that time so I assumed the seat heater worked. Turns out that only the base was working. i assume they disconnected the back panel or the back panel had finally shorted out.

Third Problem, the seat began rocking a little shortly after the seat heat problem. How convenient, just out of warranty. Has any one had this problem? Do I have to replace the whole seat base with adjuster mechanism? It seems to be rocking in the adjustment mechanism. The whole base and back rest of the seat move together in a slight rocking motion. The motion is so slight it is not annoying. The annoying part is the creak. I find myself turning up the music to cover the noise.

Fourth and fifth problem. The base seat heat has created a hot spot. I want to thank those that have posted on this problem and you have saved my leather. The stories of dime size holes prompted me to stop using the seat heat the instant I noticed the hot spot. I am thankful that I do not have to replace the seat cover. Along with this problem and probably the cause of this problem is the seat pad. The inspiration edition has higher bolsters (hopefully the right word) and the seat pad has fallen/crushed by my big butt over the years. I have read the rumors that Mercedes is paying for seat heater repair? Is this true?

Any help with these problems would be great.