M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Undecided ML500 or X5 4.4 to replace Jeep GC - Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 BMW 540i
Undecided ML500 or X5 4.4 to replace Jeep GC - Help!

My '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee is coming off lease in a few months.
I have a '00 540i Sport for fast touring and fun. I want to replace the Jeep with another SUV but I'm disappointed in the cargo carrying capacity of the BMW X5. I have driven both the 3.0 and 4.4 and they drive well but I want it all - good handling, safety, and reasonable cargo space. THe ML has a history of poor reliability. Can anyone recommend it wholeheartedly or should I look elsewhere? Did anyone consider the Acura MDX?

TIA
Spitze
Old 01-20-2002, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Im in UK, we just replaced a ML430 with a 02' ML500 - its superb compared to the pre-face-lift car. So I think the build/quality worries are fixed (no rattles etc etc).

We briefly looked at a X5, but it couldnt have 7 seats (family pack) so was ignored after that. However, one of our friends with a Range Rover looked at the X5 and ML, her comments were that the X5 is better on normal roads than a ML, but is useless off-road. The rear door on the X5 is nice, it splits in the middle like the RangeRover, so that its easier to open and put the shoppping into if someone is close behind you.

Hope that helps you

R
Old 01-20-2002, 08:28 PM
Almost a Member!

I got out of a 99 GC Ltd and now have a 2001 ml320. I love it. I like the fact that the ML has a larger cargo area, and the low range. I think the x5 is better on-road, but when the going gets tough i think the ml exceeds. The ml s have become better and better every year and i think the latest are exteremly relaible.

Bolton

www.mbnz.org
Old 01-21-2002, 03:25 PM
Almost a Member!

replaced 99 ml 430 with 2001 x5 4.4

wife and I just went down this same path.

The x5 interior space has not been an issue for us. actually the split tailgate allows you to use all of the rear area, but with the ml you had to be careful about loading too close to the hatch mechanism on the floor

We like the interior features...telescoping steering, the dual climate control and rear vents (I know that some of these have been added for 2002 to the ml, that our 99 did not have)

we also liked the dealer installed 20 inch rims ( probably available on ml as well.)

driving the two side by side, the x5 is much more car like, and for us, that is great. we will never drive it off road.

ultimately, after 3 years with the ml ( all of which were trouble free) we were ready for a change.

both are good trucks, youll be happy with either one.

dr dave
Old 01-21-2002, 05:03 PM

2000 BMW 540i
Thanks All for the Helpful Comments

Thank you all for the helpful comments. I will ultimately have to decide if some off road capability and performance in snow is more important than ultimate car like drivability. I do have the 540i Sport for that and I'm on the list for the first E555 AMG.

Thanks again,
Spitze
Old 01-24-2002, 01:19 PM

Pro's of X5: 1. Cruise/radio controls on steering wheel; 2. Opt heated steering wheel; 3. Telescoping steering wheel; 4. Opt heated rear seats; 5. Opt lumbar support; 6. More advance A/C system

Negatives: 1. ~$5000 more; 2.~2.5" less rear legroom; 3. less cargo room; 4. Unibody construction;

But most importantly, it still is buggy as hell, whereas Mercedes has addressed practically all of their build issues, BMW still keeps cranking out the slop. Note JD Powers IQS ratings last year, near the bottom. Read the following X5 list and you'll soon see a recurring "Can't wait till lease expires" posts, whereas I have yet to find anyone on the Mercedes ML lists saying likewise.

Also, the BMWNA dealer network sucks compared to Mercedes. But then again, what would you expect from a dealer that sells VW+AUDI+PORSCHE+SAAB+VOLVO+BMW. Do you think that when you get a nagging electrical glitch that the dealer will really take the time to diagnose it, or say "Can't Duplicate" to get to the 15 other makes of cars that have to be fixed by 5 pm? A lot depends on the dealer, more so IMO than a dedicated Mercedes dealer.

And I still like the X5...

http://www.bimmer.org/x5/messages/