M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Need help determining if my driveshaft u-joints/center support bearing are cause..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
02 ML320
Need help determining if my driveshaft u-joints/center support bearing are cause..

...of the noise.

Here's the bit of history

2002 ML320 with 120k kilometers.
Recently we noticed that car would occasionally start making scraping/grinding noise that's coming from middle to back of the truck. Seems to increase with speed of the vehicle. The noise wasn't constant.

We looked around and thought it was the e-brake shoes. Took the rotors off and the pads were in rough shape, with some pieces chipped off. Thinking this is a def cause, I ordered new rotors, e-brake shoes and pads. Installed it but grinding noise is still there. Now it's constant. Thinking I might have messed up something with e-brake shoes install, I took them off completely, put rotors back, drove it. Still the same constant grinding noise.

Took the SUV to local non-MB garage. They lifted the car up and got the wheels spinning and there is no noise.

Owner of that garage thinks it's something related to driveshaft, where driveshaft gets loaded when you actually drive the car. Either rear ujoint (that connects to rear diff) or center support bearing.
He asked me to take the driveshaft off myself (to save money on labor) and he will inspect it.

Do you guys think this is the cause?

Thanks

Last edited by croat; 04-20-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
02 ML320
Would this cause the grinding noise? lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWazPz-IPQk

I checked this bearing few weeks ago, when noise was intermittent and wasn't clunking but had some movement. Now that noise is constant it and I get this crazy movement/clunking, I believe this is the cause. It would be good if you guys could confirm before I order replacement.

Also, does someone have a link to good DIY, with pics and torque specs?
It looks fairy simple to remove the driveshaft. I might have to take it to the shop to press in the new bearing tho.

TIA
Old 05-08-2009, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think it would cause a grinding unless there was a total center support failure. In any case, check it out. It is easy enough - just check it for wiggling. Grab the drive shaft from it to the rear end and see if it is loose at the center support. If it is, it is easy enough to replace - no pressing required. I did a write up a while back when I replace one. If you cannot find it, let me know and I will try to remember the tricks.