M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

99 ML 430 Problems HELP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml430
Question 99 ML 430 Problems HELP?

I have been driving this with this problem for a while. Every time I start it, it continued to turn over then would start. I had it hooked up and they said it was missing on 3 cylinders all on one side.

I paid the Mercedes Mechanic online to tell me it is the catalytic Converter but everyone tells me if that was the case it wouldn't go over 55 mph.

It used to bog down at 65.mph

I then had the spark plugs replaced and it still had the same problem starting but sometimes it starts just fine and now runs great.

Now recently it died as I was almost to stop and it started up and I parked it, a few minutes later I tried to start it and it would just turn over and over, but no start.

When I pulled the spark plug in the front it started up fine. Plugged it back in. It wouldn't start. Unplugged it then it started.

So I had it hooked up again and there are no errors codes detected now.

Put a new fuel filter in and it started up perfectly then parked it and went to start it a few minutes later and again it wouldn't start. Next morning, it started perfectly and ran fine at start up and while driving for a few days.

Today it started fine then I was almost to work coming to a stop and it died. Now it won't start again. Tried the spark plug and that didn't work either.

ANY ADVICE?

Last edited by cquimby; 05-19-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally Posted by cquimby
I have been driving this with this problem for a while. Every time I start it, it continued to turn over then would start. I had it hooked up and they said it was missing on 3 cylinders all on one side.

I paid the Mercedes Mechanic online to tell me it is the catalytic Converter but everyone tells me if that was the case it wouldn't go over 55 mph.

It used to bog down at 65.mph

I then had the spark plugs replaced and it still had the same problem starting but sometimes it starts just fine and now runs great.

Now recently it died as I was almost to stop and it started up and I parked it, a few minutes later I tried to start it and it would just turn over and over, but no start.

When I pulled the spark plug in the front it started up fine. Plugged it back in. It wouldn't start. Unplugged it then it started.

So I had it hooked up again and there are no errors codes detected now.

Put a new fuel filter in and it started up perfectly then parked it and went to start it a few minutes later and again it wouldn't start. Next morning, it started perfectly and ran fine at start up and while driving for a few days.

Today it started fine then I was almost to work coming to a stop and it died. Now it won't start again. Tried the spark plug and that didn't work either.

ANY ADVICE?
It could possibly be a failing CPS (crank position sensor). If it hasn't been replaced before, that could be the problem. My 2 cents.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
X166, 997
crank position sensor

IF it's the CPS, the car usually fails when the car is hot...car shuts down all of a sudden when it's really hot, and when engine cools down, car works again. If you notice that, then CPS for sure.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:52 PM

2008 C300
It could be the tranny, the same situation that you explain in detail happen to me, thought it was the sparks plug too =/ . My trany died at 92k, and the cost to replace it is heart breaking...
Old 06-26-2009, 06:57 PM

98 CLK 320 03 ML500 04 SL 500
starting problem

It will be either the crank position sensor or the cam shaft sensor. Both of those sensors will cause that problem. Good luck