M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Dim headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
97 S500, 04 ML350
Dim headlights

i have a 2004 ML 350 without HID headlights.
since i bought the car the headlights have been dim and do not light up the road as they should, i always have to drive with my fog lights on to get somewhat decent road lighting.
recently one bulb burned out so i bought the super bright sylvania H7 bulbs hoping it would sort out the problem.
well it did not.
any ideas as to why am i getting such poor lighting?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:46 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 ML320, 2005 E320 CDI
From my experience, standard halogens get dimmer over their life. My advisement would be to check the voltage (just to be sure) and verify everything is to spec. Then change your bulbs.

Also, have you thought about getting an aftermarket HID kit to swap in? I did it...and I will never go back.

BTW...long time poster at benzworld.org...just now setting up my account here.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
97 S500, 04 ML350
the bulbs are brand new, less then a month old.
i will however check voltage
Old 05-22-2009, 01:44 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 ML320, 2005 E320 CDI
Good idea...figured I would ask about their age. Let us know the outcome.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml 350
Hello,

I have a 2004 ML350 with the HID lights. I'm having the very same problem. The light went out on the drivers side and was dim on the passenger side. I replaced both bulbs, bought from the dealer. However the passengerside is still dim.
I checked the voltage coming into the headlight assembly - 12.6 volts in both passenger side and drivers side. Then I switched assmeblies, found when i did the driverside assmebly was bright on the passenger side. Since, I see only one wire connecting both bulbsinside the headlight assembly, can I replace it or do I need to change the head light assembly?
Also, Phoenx what did you find out.
I'm in New Jersey.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml 350
Fixed dim headlights!

I solved the problem. Simple fix. Just some back ground.
Since the low beam was dim on the passenger side an no where else, I new it had to be a ground.
I checked all the grounds through out the entire truck, nothing. Then, checked all the voltage coming out of the harness to the headlamps on both right and left sides, ok. Then removed the driver side headlamp assembly, because that low beam was working fine. I Plugged it in to the passenger side, that check out ok. Now, I knew it was the passenger side headlamp assembly ground. Again, I checked the wires, all three, they were ok. What could it be, I couldn't figure it out for months. Then, I pulled out the headlight assembly for the hundth time, removed the plug. I realized the wires were loose going into the plugs(male side), I had seen this before, I figured so what. Well for whatever reason when I plugged the harness back in, the female end from the harness was pushing out the ground connection just enough to get the light to work, and still be dim.

So, some hot glue and all is well! I pushed the wires into the plug while using 20 cents worth of hot glue. Lights work great, and I can see again.
Yes, I did go to the dealer to enquire about buying a new lamp assembly, but 800.00 is too much. And yes, I did go back to the dealers about 12 times.
Each time I would go in for an oil change, and say please check the headlight,..its dim. I would recieve the same dim answer, lights check out ok.
Anyway, I want to thank Prestige Motors of Paramus, NJ and Globe Motor Cars in Fairfield, NJ for wasting my time and money!
Never ever go to the dealer, they will screw you everytime!

Last edited by Scottml350; 02-11-2011 at 02:45 AM.