M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ESP Light, Uncontrollable acceleration..very serious problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320, ML350, E320
ESP Light, Uncontrollable acceleration..very serious problem

I own a 2002 ML320, and have been dealing with a serious problem with this vehicle for over a year. While using cruise control, the car will accelerate rapidly on its own and the only way to stop the car is to put the car in neutral (the brake will not work and the cruise control will not disengage).

I have taken the car to the dealership each time this has happened. They replace the ESP sensor each time, and the car returns to normal. After the fourth time this happened, they replaced the ESP sensor and then proceeded to tell me they found the problem. Thousands of dollars later, the throttle body was replaced, as well as the throttle cable.

After a week of having the car back, the problem has come back. ESP light is on and the uncontrollable acceleration happened again. Keep in mind, each time the ESP light has come on, the brake lights do not come on, and you have to use a pen or pencil to get the transmission out of park and into drive or reverse.

Have any of you heard of the uncontrollable acceleration problem in Mercedes Benz vehicles? The car is at the dealership now, and having just invested 3k and still having the same mechanical problem, I'm starting to lose faith in my Mercedes dealership.

Any suggestions or insight?

Thanks-
Old 06-09-2009, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 190E 2.6, ... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
I think your last statement hit the nail on the head. Time to find another repair shop.
Mike
Old 06-09-2009, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally Posted by TrueReligion
I own a 2002 ML320, and have been dealing with a serious problem with this vehicle for over a year. While using cruise control, the car will accelerate rapidly on its own and the only way to stop the car is to put the car in neutral (the brake will not work and the cruise control will not disengage).

I have taken the car to the dealership each time this has happened. They replace the ESP sensor each time, and the car returns to normal. After the fourth time this happened, they replaced the ESP sensor and then proceeded to tell me they found the problem. Thousands of dollars later, the throttle body was replaced, as well as the throttle cable.

After a week of having the car back, the problem has come back. ESP light is on and the uncontrollable acceleration happened again. Keep in mind, each time the ESP light has come on, the brake lights do not come on, and you have to use a pen or pencil to get the transmission out of park and into drive or reverse.

Have any of you heard of the uncontrollable acceleration problem in Mercedes Benz vehicles? The car is at the dealership now, and having just invested 3k and still having the same mechanical problem, I'm starting to lose faith in my Mercedes dealership.

Any suggestions or insight?

Thanks-
Crown or Germain? I've had good results @ Crown in the past never heard anything good about Potter/now Germain. My 2 cents.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
No brake lights??, No cruise cut off with brake?? ESP failure?? All that would encourage me to have them look at the brake light switch, could be intermittentely defective. As for the throttle cable, the only cable goes from the accelerator to the box on the firewall where the throttle signal is converted to wire and transmitted to the throttle body electronically. That can't be a factor
Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320, ML350, E320
I purchased the car new at Ed Potter, and haven't had any negative experiences with the service I receive at Germain (aside from this annoying situation). However, I just dropped $1700.00 less then two weeks ago and the problem is not fixed. This is a pretty dangerous problem to have, so I hope they are able to identify the problem.

...I purchased my other two Mercedes vehicles with Crown.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
X166, 997
dude take it back

make them refund you all the labor it cost of the $1700, apply that refund to new labor to fix your issues....only pay for the cost of parts in this since they haven't a clue what they're doing.

Locally here, i had an issue with the air conditioning at autobanh motors in California, they said it was this, i paid for it...still had the issue, said it was that, fixed it, still had the issue...i ended up paying for parts only and said they're flippin wasting my time.