M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Recent ML320 Alternator problems...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recent ML320 Alternator problems...

Hello all,

My 2002 ML320 recently had the alternator go bad. I had my local repair shop put in a refurb unit, which they bought from the local MB dealer (Tafel).

I went to pick up the truck after the repair and now I have several problems that the repair shop could not explain at the time. The known problems are:

1. No volume on the audio system.
2. No recognition of CD Changer
3. Sunroof motor does not work

All of these worked before the alternator died. The only "mod" I have done to my vehicle is that I use a DVD navigation unit instead of the CD based. It is the Mercedes unit, still navigates but has no audio either.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. The local repair shop is going to look at it on Monday and then I'll have to take it to the MB dealer after that if nothing is figured out.

Regards,
John

2002 ML320 Black/Tan 3rd row seats, DVD navigation, Bose
2000 323i, Blue/Gray, 5-speed
Old 07-02-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
It seems like your refurb alternator is not charging the battery to full voltage..

Originally Posted by air1jdg
Hello all,

My 2002 ML320 recently had the alternator go bad. I had my local repair shop put in a refurb unit, which they bought from the local MB dealer (Tafel).

I went to pick up the truck after the repair and now I have several problems that the repair shop could not explain at the time. The known problems are:

1. No volume on the audio system.
2. No recognition of CD Changer
3. Sunroof motor does not work

All of these worked before the alternator died. The only "mod" I have done to my vehicle is that I use a DVD navigation unit instead of the CD based. It is the Mercedes unit, still navigates but has no audio either.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. The local repair shop is going to look at it on Monday and then I'll have to take it to the MB dealer after that if nothing is figured out.

Regards,
John
It almost seems like your refurb alternator isn't charging the battery to full voltage...so some functions on the truck aren't working..