M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Rough Idle at startup and stall..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:43 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Rough Idle at startup and stall..

ML320 : 132k Miles
I just got my CPS & Fuel pump replaced last month.
Spark plugs were replaced at 100K miles...

I had the classic CPS symptom of engine cranking but not starting when hot, before the CPS was replaced. The fuel gauge had been acting funny for a while and I was starting to hear funny sounds from the fuel tank.

Me & my mechanic agreed that replacing both made the most sense. So, my classic CPS symptom is gone now..

Since last week, I am now noticing a new symptom...crank the engine and it starts off by idling rough...and then stalls..crank again and same thing...do it a couple of times and then fires up...once fired, runs fine...no stalling midway on a red light or anything...so it doesn't seem like the CPS anymore...

I had done the plugs at 100K miles, but not the wires/ignition coils. I am thinking it is probably one of the two and I have even heard of failing oxygen sensors causing this symptom.

Question: Should I do all 3 or start with the plug wires first, then go the coils and then the oxygen sensors?

Would there be a definitive way of pin pointing the real cause?

There is no CEL on my dashboard...
Old 07-24-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say plugs. Also run a couple of tanks with the big bottle of Chevron Techron.

Originally Posted by mihir_d
ML320 : 132k Miles
I just got my CPS & Fuel pump replaced last month.
Spark plugs were replaced at 100K miles...

I had the classic CPS symptom of engine cranking but not starting when hot, before the CPS was replaced. The fuel gauge had been acting funny for a while and I was starting to hear funny sounds from the fuel tank.

Me & my mechanic agreed that replacing both made the most sense. So, my classic CPS symptom is gone now..

Since last week, I am now noticing a new symptom...crank the engine and it starts off by idling rough...and then stalls..crank again and same thing...do it a couple of times and then fires up...once fired, runs fine...no stalling midway on a red light or anything...so it doesn't seem like the CPS anymore...

I had done the plugs at 100K miles, but not the wires/ignition coils. I am thinking it is probably one of the two and I have even heard of failing oxygen sensors causing this symptom.

Question: Should I do all 3 or start with the plug wires first, then go the coils and then the oxygen sensors?

Would there be a definitive way of pin pointing the real cause?

There is no CEL on my dashboard...
Old 07-24-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
My mechanic tells me to start by switching to another ignition key....

Originally Posted by frankmb
I would say plugs. Also run a couple of tanks with the big bottle of Chevron Techron.
Common sense...the key should be first ruled out. A bad key could do this too..and is known to do this on the ML..the key too is by the way 130K miles/9 years old...

I will try the Chevron Techron today...

Plugs are only 30K miles old...they should be okay...

He thinks, the plug wires could be next, then the ignition coils and finally the oxygen sensor..

Last edited by mihir_d; 07-24-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
Rough Idle New MAF

Hi, I have just replaced my MAF sensor on my ML320 2002 w163 having tried some cheaper versions had to go for a Bosch. Now I have a rough idle on start up until I give it some gas.... please help.... I love the car but its becoming a bit annoying now...
Old 06-11-2014, 06:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 ML55,2007 ML63
Mihir don't throw money away for nothing. Have the car scanned with a pro level scanner & post the codes. You cant fix an ML by guessing or buying parts that may or not be the cause of the problem. That will be a very expensive & frustrating venture.