M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Please help. I need your assessment.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML430, C240, Jetta 2.5
Exclamation Please help. I need your assessment.

Here's what happened, wifey claimed before hopping ML430, she noticed wet spots under the engine area. She said it was strange because much of the sorrounding was dry. So she drove and when she turned the a/c on, it wasn't cold, just air. After 15 minutes, she heard a popping sound then smoke came out of the engine bay. It stalled and doesn't start. After an hour, the tow truck with flatbed towed it and the guy managed to start it and drive it onto the tow truck. When it got home, the guy again was able to start it and drove it to the driveway. I didn't hear any knocking sound or anything weird.
This morning, I've checked both radiator hose and looks fine. The coolant container is full. Belts are fine. I want to check the radiator fluid level but I don't know how. Also, what do you think happened? What else do I need to check? Please help. Thanks
Old 09-17-2009, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
German karts
The wet spot, is it near the driver's door? (or passenger? mine is RHD so not sure if the location switched between RHD/LHD cars). It could be water drainage from a/c system
There are many possibilities why the a/c isn't blowing cold air.. could be electric fan not working properly (check the fuse, F44 i believe in the engine bay fuse box), could be the a/c compressor failed, could be your a/c needs to be recharged (which usually indicates a leak somewhere in the system)...
More info here : http://www.whnet.com/4x4/climate.html
I'm not sure why the cause of smoke and stall though and whether its related to the a/c or not.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:52 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
A/C hose rubbing against the ABS unit? That could eventually pop and leak out all the freon. and cause smoke to come out from the front of the hood due to the A/C system oil getting all ove rthe front of the engine bay.