M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Mercedes ML320 wont start, SMS Airbag lights on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2009 | 05:21 PM

Model: ML320 Year: 2000; Model: ML350 Year: 2012
Mercedes ML320 wont start, SMS Airbag lights on

Hi - I have a 2000 ML320. Same problem as others have had on other portals (athensdan and others: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...ml#post3318220.
Always the same symptoms....will not turn over, remote alarm does not work, overhead dome lights do not work, but other things do work (radio, headlights, electric windows, seat heat, etc). Does not even attempt to turn over and the only idiot light are SMS and Air Bag.
I saw a post somewhere where someone had taken the fuse box (well, the box with connectors and connectors) out of its outer fuse box container and the jolt got everything working again. That worked for me too. I replaced the fuse box fan which had failed (which probably means the damage has been done), but I'm still getting the same problem every so often. Seems to be related to the aircon. When I press the aircon switch that's when everything dies. Waiting 15-30 mins and jiggling the fuse box brings everything back too life. Seems like something's overheating (AAM?) and needs time to cool off. Maybe the Aircon is just the trigger as it takes a large electric load when it kicks in. Any new ideas from anyone?