M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Waterpump replacement ML 320 2002 Process and pics

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 320 2002
Waterpump replacement ML 320 2002 Process and pics

If I may suggest one should CHECK and see if there is play on the water pump pulley every now and again you do not want to damage the aluminium on the block = big bucks!!!!!
Tips: on MY ML320 2002
WARNING (there are exceptions in the wis manual for certain models) on my ML320 2002 Viscous fan or clutch fan while facing the engine turn the nut (with the 36mm wrench) LEFT too loosen

purchase a new water temp sensor as when you go to turn it to the right as there is a little lip on the very top of the water pump that has to clear the sensor when you remove and replace the new water pump

purchase new water pump pulley bolts in the event you damage them when one uses the flat bar tool to hold the pulley in place while loosening the viscousfan nut

On the idler pulley you need a small screw driver to remove the dust cover to get to the internal torx nut thereby allowing you access to the external torx bolt directly to the right of the said pulley

There are 17 bolts to the water pump itself IT IS IMPERATIVE that you take a box like i did map out the NEW water pump like i did and ONE by ONE insert them as you remove

Purchase an idler pulley especially if there is no restocking fee because when the serpentine belt is off and the pulley is spun free ***** it may be pretty noisy especially when you take a 12” piece of wood to your ear and on the centre of the bearing and spin it – change may be apparent
You may have to remove the top radiator hose off the rad side and the bottom rad hose on the rad side so as to easily remove the viscous fan bulky black safety housing which incases the fan

ML320 2002 model:
1) Remove the 2 bolts at the bottom and sides of the viscous fan bulky black safety housing and you may want to slide the housing up as there is a sliding tab on either side of the housing halfway up it
2) Remove the viscous fan

Last edited by smith007; 10-21-2009 at 05:34 PM.