M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

2002 ML320 Radio - Sound Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 02:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 ML 320
sound

I am not very sure that was the cure for the stereo/mono problem. I think I am still having the problem, but it is not very often. I will give it some more time.

But as for the rattles, i have no problem with rattles after they replaced the amp.
Nick
Old 06-03-2003, 04:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks Nick

I'll wait for a few weeks to see your result. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:46 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 ML 320
Angry Unbelievable

After reading all of these posts, it seems that this is a common problem with no known fix!!!!

I started this thread many months ago and just got my car back from my dealer here in Atlanta. THIS TIME, they purported to have found the problem as follows:

"25344 Fiber Optic Cable Kinked"

So guess that they did? (Unbelievable).....
"Nec to R&R Front and Rear Seats, R&R Center Console, and remove front carpet in order to get to fiber optic cable. Replaced with new cable, function tested, everything in order"....

NOT!!!

They made a complete mess of my car in the process, though! Fingerprints everywhere - carpet stained - scratches and puncture holes on / in the dash....but the Stereo / Mono problem is a bad as ever.....

After having a conniption fit, they detailed the car from the inside and made it look clean again...sort of...

Nevertheless, the radio still sucks.

Does ANYONE have a success story they can share? Doesn't MB know about this problem yet if so many people are experiencing it?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
DRB
Old 07-14-2003, 01:28 PM
Almost a Member!

1998 ML 320
not fixed

My radio problem was not fixed. It is not a very frequent thing though.
I can't quite put my finger on the problem or get a definite feel for what I am doing to cause the problem. I thought it was happening when I hovering in the 40 MPH area.
I know for sure it happens when a good song comes on the radio...!!

Hopefully a fix will come up soon.
Nick
Old 07-14-2003, 11:53 PM
Almost a Member!

I hate to say this, but there is not much we could do

As you already noticed, I am one of the owners who has the same problem. I've noticed this problem the second day after I got my 500. I was so close to file lemon law sue months ago, but after I talked to our company's attorney, I decided not to do it. He told me this not a safety related problem, it's very hard to win a none safety related lemon law sue.
I tried to get answer from MB, but no luck. I've tried to connect an external antenna to head unit, I've tried to disconnect navigation system, I 've tried to disconnect the speed input wire, no luck so far. However, I have one last think I could do, which is to connect an external antenna booster (although there is one already). I have no faith it will work, but you never know. Later.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 Mercedes SL550 Sport
no sound - bad amp diag by MB

dealer diag. bad amp for the no sound issue on my 02 ML320.

what is my best option here? can I bypass the factory AMPLIFIER with an aftermarket unit? is this something a local stereo place can do? or I need to find a used oneand replace this one?

thanks for your assistance
Old 01-12-2007, 06:02 AM

'03 E39 530I
this 'problem' is an intended feature. when the radio signal is weak, the radio changes to mono to reduce static. stop paying attention and it wont bother you. only way to solve would be to change the head unit compatible with fibre optic wiring. I wouldn't even worry about this. ml's have plenty other things to go wrong. my water pump and alternator died and left me stranded for the first time since new.

Last edited by straightSIX; 01-12-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:37 PM

ML 320
Question 2002 Ml320

Seems I'm not only one with a radio with no sound at all. everything else works it comes on CD, radio and cassette work.

I have no sound at all, not even a hiss.

From what I see it looks like an AMP issue???

were is it located????
Old 01-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML270
Originally Posted by number22
Seems I'm not only one with a radio with no sound at all. everything else works it comes on CD, radio and cassette work.

I have no sound at all, not even a hiss.

From what I see it looks like an AMP issue???

were is it located????
The aerial is in the back window and the connections to it and the aerial amplifier are in the back door, you will have to remove the cladding to access them.