M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Fishtailing while driving?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML 320
Fishtailing while driving?????

Hi Guys...I own a 2001 ML320.Its up to 250K on the mileage.So far so good and have no major complaints.But as of the last 2 weeks or so i've been experiencing a weird little phenomenon.When i accelerate the car seems to do slight fishtail to the right in the front.When i decelerate it seems to fishtail back into a straight line.Sometimes if would feel the sensation you get when your car is sliding on ice and you turn your wheel to get it back towards the direction you want it to go...and then click it..the body would fall in line..

My brother and i came up with it being the struts in the front.We just changed them and on the test drive it would re-fishtail but to a much smaller degree.Could it be that the rear struts need a changing as well??

What also crossed my mind as well was the thought of the motor mounts having a problem (checking those out now).Would like to hear if anyone else has experienced such a thing and if they found a solution.Some direction would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks very much!
Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year to all!!!
=)
Old 12-26-2009, 01:44 PM

2001 ML 320
Guys i found out what it was....it was the rear wheel passenger side control arm strut was busted!!.Upon taking a test ride i jacked up the entire car.Physically grabbed all the tires and shook them.when i got to the rear passenger the wheel instead of staying put and steady as rear wheels should with my hands on the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock the tires was moving left and right.

Took the tire off inspected everything and low and behold right there at the bottom of the control arm strut the plactic jammy (the ball joint) off line and moving like a little kids loose tooth.Now i have to order the new part (the control arm strut in its entirety)and hopefully get back to some safe driving.

Hope someone can use this experience to their own advantage if the encounter the same thing =)
Old 12-28-2009, 09:48 PM

2005 ML350 W163
Thanks for posting! May need that diagnosis some day!