M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

turn signal bink fast after trailer wiring install

Old 03-05-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 ML320
turn signal bink fast after trailer wiring install

I just installed a trailer wiring kit and now both left and right trun signals blink fast. all the bulbs are fine and i tested the wiring with a test light and it is working. i wired the harness right into the factory harness connector and i didnt even use those crimp connectors they supply with the kit. any ideas on how to stop this.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:21 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
The turn signal relays are getting overloaded..

Originally Posted by ofhs85
I just installed a trailer wiring kit and now both left and right trun signals blink fast. all the bulbs are fine and i tested the wiring with a test light and it is working. i wired the harness right into the factory harness connector and i didnt even use those crimp connectors they supply with the kit. any ideas on how to stop this.
Seems like your trailer lights are drawing too much power....
The turn signal blinks are controlled by 2 (one for left and one for right) relays in the fusebox.

If the current drawn through them is too much, relays will do this - they flip back and forth too fast...which causes the rapid blinking...

In Electrical Engineering, there is a specific term for this behavior of relays...can't remember it off the back...but it is a well known behavior..
Old 09-18-2013, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 ML320, 2009 Cayenne GTS
Hi
Sorry to resurrect an old old thread, but I have the same problem with high speed flashing - with no trailer attached. I disconnected the harness near the fuel filler hose and the flashing returned to normal... Is this expected behaviour?