M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

MCS PINOUTS - VARIOUS YEARS/MODEL !! REFERENCE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ml320

Ok, I had searched High and Low for the pinouts of my MCS. Every thread conveniently points you to wolfgangs site, which does not work anymore. Hence, in my effort to search for the pinouts of my SUV, I stumbled upon many other years as well. The following is a mumble jumble of data cut/copy/pasted from various sites. You can search for your own model and try finding some reference. I hope it saves all of us some time!!

HERE IT IS:

Useful post from DAC on the pinouts for the radio:

After much investigation, I’ve been able to replace the radio in my vehicle. Unfortunately either Crutchfield’s research on the ML320 is out of date or was incorrectly done in the first place so I wound up throwing out Crutchfield’s adapters and starting from scratch. There are two major discrepancies between my vehicle and Crutchfield’s data. First, the adapter harness they provide which is suppose to plug directly into the factory harness does not fit. The adapter they provided is intended for VW and Audi. Both it and our vehicle harness uses a single plug made of two halves of 8 pin each. The 8 pins of each half are arranged the same; however, the two halves are spaced differently. In order to fit the wiring harness into the adapter, major modifications must be done to the factory harness’s plug. Rather than do these modification, I replaced the factory plug with a standard Molex connector.

The second issue deals with the antenna. The antenna in the ML320 uses a booster requiring power. Crutchfield said the power to the booster was provided through the center lead of the antenna wire, and provided an adapter to support this function. Power is not supplied through the center lead of the antenna wire; instead, there is a dedicated wire in the wiring harness from the radio which supplies power to the antenna booster. I hooked this lead up to the power antenna wire of my new radio. The following diagrams show the pinouts of the standard factory radio of the ML320, the view is into the radio or into the tail of each plug:

----------------
| 1 2 3 4 |o
| 5 6 7 8 |
----------------

Power
1 Brown Ground
2 White Illumination
3 Red Battery
4 Tan Antenna
5 Pink Ignition
6 N/A
7 N/A
8 N/A

Speakers
1 Orange LR-
2 Green LF-
3 White RF-
4 Gray RR-
5 Pink LR+
6 Blue LF+
7 Tan RL+
8 Red RR+

WARNING: Removal of the factory unit requires a special tool. Substitution may damage the retaining clips making the radio impossible to remove without dismantling the dashboard. I think the tool should be a flat blade tapered at one edge. Insertion of the tool with the non-tapered edge toward the outside will move the clips in and release the factory radio.

MCS pinout as of 09/2002

A1- Blue - VSS
A2- Yellow - Diagnostic
A3- Gray - Mute by TeleAid
A4- Red- 12v+ Constant power (Fuse 21)
A5- Red- Antenna
A6- White- Backlight illumination for buttons (PWM)
A7- Pink- 12v+ (circuit15R) ingition ON power (Fuse 10)
A8- Brown- Ground
----------------------------------------------
C1- White- TeleAid CAN H
C2- Green- TeleAid CAN L
C3- Gray- Reverse backup lamp
C4- Pink- wake-up CD changer
C5- Orange- 12v power to CD changer
C6- Brown- Ground to CD changer
C7- Blue- 12v+ (changes day/night mode for LCD screen when grounded)
C8- not used
C9- not used
C10- not used.
----------------------------------------------
B harness- not used since D2b connection

Credit: Witek; for providing me the wiring diagram.

What is the pinout for the MCS?

Wolfgang came up with this pinout for his 2001 MCS:

C1 A1 - 16 Pin Plug
Pin 01 - blue VSS speed signal
Pin 02 - yellow diagnostic SRS
Pin 03 - gray TeleAid
Pin 04 - red +12 (circuit 30)
Pin 05 - orange antenna amplifier(and audio amplifier w/Bose)
Pin 06 - white interior lamps dimmed
Pin 07 - pink +12 (circuit 15)
Pin 08 - brown GND
B1 red - speaker FL+ (B1-8 with BOSE use D2B)
B2 gray - speaker FL-
B3 orange - speaker FR+
B4 white - speaker FR-
B5 blue - speaker LR+
B6 green - speaker LR-
B7 pink - speaker RR+
B8 orange - speaker RR-

C2 - 10 Pin Plug
Pin 01 - white TeleAid
Pin 02 - green TeleAid
Pin 03 - gray stop lamp switch
Pin 04 - pink CD changer (and phone, TeleAID after 09/2000)
Pin 05 - orange CD changer
Pin 06 - brown GND
Pin 07 - orange head lamp switch
Pin 08 - ?
Pin 09 - ?
Pin 10 - ?

C3 - 1 Pin Plug
coax black antenna AM/FM/Weather

C4 - 2 Pin Plug
Pin 1 - D2B
Pin 2 - D2B
E - 1 Pin
coax black GPS
X39 - 10 Pin
Pin 1 brown - phone
Pin 10 violet - phone
The page you quote as being "Wolfgang's" information is correct. It is from Becker, which have manufactured stereos for many Mercedes vehicles.

The pin numbering convention between the two information pages you list is different. The Becker version is correct numbering, with pin 1 being the pin closest to the key, in the top row, pin 2 moving below that, and then the numbers continue away from the key.

This is an ISO STANDARD! The numbers are usually on the connectors as well, so there's no reason to reinvent the wheel!

Also, this numbering keeps each speaker as a pair of wires, 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8. Incidentally, 1-2 = HR +/1, 3-4 = VR +/-, 5-6 = VL +/-, 7-8 = HL +/-. Hinten is rear, Vorn is front, Rechts is right, Links is left (for those who don't read German wiring diagrams...)

I can't give you the color coding of the wires. I feel this would be unsafe anyhow, as color codes have changed throughout the life of models. Your best bet is to pull the speaker grills out and use a continuity tester to verify the wiring colors before you put them into the connector!

I don't have the "C" connector pinouts (for the CD changer). This changed from 1999 to 2000 (I believe) and it is also peculiar to the ML. If you're gonna do MCS, why not skip this and run a fibre optic cable?
Here are the colors I usually see... sometimes they vary though, so beware.

#1 ... GAL (speed pulse) ... green
#2 ... K-Leitung (usually unused)
#3 ... Telefon mute
#4 ... Versorgung/Dauerplus Kl. 30 (constant power) ... FAT red wire
#5 ... Schaltausgang (switched power) ... blue w/white
#6 ... Licht Kl. 58 (illumination) grey w/blue
#7 ... Zündung Kl. 15R (ignition)
#8 ... Masse Kl. 31 (ground) FAT brown

The red wires are often red, red w/yellow, or red w/white (sometimes used for ignition, but then so is pink).

Hope that's helpful. Like I said before, colors can change from year to year or even with a model year. Brown is usually the only thing you can count on, although sometimes CANBUS wires are brown with stripe!
Here are Wolfgang's 2000 pinouts from http://www.whnet.com/4x4/MY2000_MCS_pins.html

Connector A - 8 Pin DIN ISO

Pin Color Description
A01 Blue ESP/ETS/BAS control module, speed dependant volume control, VSS NAV
A02 Green Data link connector (DTC readout) / Phone mute
A03 Gray Backup lamps reverse NAV
A04 Red Battery (circuit 30) +12V constant on, fuse F21 25A
A05 Orange FM AM WEATHERBAND amplifier Standard radio
A05 Orange FM AM WEATHERBAND amplifier and Bose premium sound system power trigger
A06 White PWM dimming and DAY/NIGHT headlight, instrument lights
A07 Pink Power (circuit 15) +12V switched, ignition, fuse F10 10A
A08 Brown Ground

... and here from a reply by Wolfgang
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...ng-comand.html

MCS pinouts (MY2001)
For those interested, here are the pinouts for the MCS Module (MY2001):

C1 A1 - 16 Pin Plug
Pin 01 - blue VSS speed signal
Pin 02 - yellow diagnostic SRS
Pin 03 - gray TeleAid
Pin 04 - red +12 (circuit 30)
Pin 05 - orange antenna amplifier(and audio amplifier w/Bose)
Pin 06 - white interior lamps dimmed
Pin 07 - pink +12 (circuit 15)
Pin 08 - brown GND
Thanks for the info Newshound. The mute must be pin 3 then since I see that the backup signal was switched from there to the 7 pin C2 connector.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
I have this posted up somewhere...
Old 04-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 E430 Sport
Does anyone know how much this diagram changes when you have fiberoptic mcs? Would the speaker wire coming form the amp be the same color?
Thanks
Old 04-18-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 E430 Sport
Originally Posted by Firstml320
Does anyone know how much this diagram changes when you have fiberoptic mcs? Would the speaker wire coming form the amp be the same color?
Thanks
I have an 02 ml55 and just pulled the amp harness and it only has 21 pins. it has alot of the same color wires , so im having a hard time matching them to the speakers. Anyone have a diagram?