M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Air Filter/Air Box questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350 and CLK 350 both '07
Air Filter/Air Box questions

I am enjoying my ML350. Since I bought it used I wanted to get to know it and do a routine service myself.

The oil/filter change went smoothly and I was right, the previous owner apparently had not done the proper work.

The Filters were next. the Cabin Air Filters were not exactly full of spooge but need replacing. The set is on its way.

The engine air Filters were next and this brings on the question. I found an on-line video on doing the job but the video producer ignores the part about putting the air Filter Box/Carrier/Cover back.

I know there are 4 clamp like springs that slide over the 4 matching rubber knobs, and there is the one metal clip at the rear center.

Anyone have any tips on getting the box back on the 4 knobs? Mine may now (or may not) be fully seated in the original resting place since you cannot see the places where the clips mate with the knobs.. any tips/suggestions or even conjectures?

TIA
Old 05-13-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
If the box is not seated properly, it will cause a vibration and shake the whole front end.
Do yourself a favor, when you get the box off, squeeze the clips that lock onto those posts almost closed. It will take some of the vibration you didnt know you had out of the car.
Put the hood in the full 90 degree position. Line up the opening for the MAF sensor in the box over the sensor itself...towards the rear of the engine(center). Then just lower it down. It will seat itself for the most part. The rear clip wont really latch until it is in the proper position anyway. Give it a firm push down the secure it in place.

Last edited by Benzo 003; 05-13-2010 at 10:54 AM.