M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Performance Products Before Going There Read This Letter!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 11:19 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Ml 320
Angry Performance Products Before Going There Read This Letter!

ANYONE THINKING OF GOING TO PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS READ THIS FIRST!!!

Alright ive been trying to get some WORKING headlights from these guys since mid October last year. I hate confrontation and i have tried to be as nice and tolerant as i could but this two days ago was the breaking point. I wont elaborate here is the letter i sent them.

I am going to the better business bureau in Massachusetts tommorrow morning. I have the contents of my Performance Products order with me and i am going there first thing. It is 10:52 my time over in Cali it is 7:52. I bought my ML Update Headlights from you guys in late October i am still without new lights in my ML as of this date because of your companys indiscretion in sending packages and not caring enough about customers to make sure the job is done right. (by the way this letter and every reciept ive accumulated is going with me to the Business Bureau) Ill briefly explain the story because i am really gettting tired of explaining it. I bought these updated headlights in late October. They arrived no problem. The headlights had some broken plastic peices and i just let that slide no big deal. I brought them to the Mercedes Dealer to get them installed the Mercedes guys noted the plastic peices and i had them install the lights anyways 100dollers later the Merc Technicians said the lights had problems the high-beams would not go on, they put my old lights back in at a charge of 100dollers to me. I brought them back to my house called up Performance Products. And they said return the lights. I went to mailboxes I wanted the lights mailed back right cost at mailboxes 110. Total so far 210 dollers your company has cost me. The lights were mailed back and it was later discovered there was no problem with the lights. A set of adapters which come WITH the lights were not sent WITH the lights to me. The new updated headlights have a mismatched plug so you need an adapter for the headlights highbeams to work, the headlights will install on an old Ml but the highbeams plug will not operate. I didnt know this. The Performance Products guy said he could not reiumburse me for either the shipping over or the cost incurred at the Mercedes Dealer because according to the Performance Products Manager "they shouldve known that by looking at the lights its not our fault." I sent my reciept back to them from the Mercedes dealer. The Mercedes dealer noted the broken plastic peices and noted that i said install anyways on the reciept. The Performance Products guy took this to mean that the Merc guy knew the highbeams wouldnt work and i said install anyways, so that was another reason they wouldnt reimburse me. As for the S&h to send the lights back, I SHOULDNT HAVE GONE TO MAILBOXES THEY CHARGE TOO MUCH according to the Performance Products guy. So they agreed to reimburse me $25.00!!!!! My blood was at its boiling POINT. So i said screw it Id get the new lights installed then and never call this company again. That was in January. Finally APRIL 2nD!!! The lights arrive. Very Late. My car was having some work done to it so it wasnt for a few days later that i really looked at the lights. BOTH Lights have broken plastic mounting peices. Both lights were half assly packed and shipped. I am sick of this. I am not sending these lights back again without some SERIOUS reparation for all this time and money ive spent. And before i even get involved with Performance Products i am going to the Better Business Bureau of Massachusetts and lodging a complaint. The laws in Cali and Mass are pretty close to the same so cooperation between the two states should be high even though they are so far apart. I am sending this letter to all the Mercedes newsgroups and mailing sites. I was trying to be very nice and forgive and forgetful but i cant deal with this problem anymore.
Thanks for reading this.
Sincerely,
James Kantany
Any Steps taken to reimburse me will also be noted in all copies of this sent to people
Old 04-08-2003, 02:55 PM

'00 ML320, '07 E550
Re: Performance Products Before Going There Read This Letter!

Sorry to hear that, I can not believed they still had this problem. I wonder they did this intentionally to get the money from the shipper.

You want to post this at Benzworld also because they sponsor that site.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:32 PM

'98 ML 320
Back in late January, I ordered the same ML headlight update from Performance Products, and i was told they were in stock and to be at my door within a week. March 28 they arrived. I took them out and saw that the driver side light had two broken plastic mounting tabs. One of the two tabs was SHIPPED and WRAPPED carefully, but most definitely broken off before being wrapped, in the box along with the headlight! I called them about it (got the lights on a friday afternoon, called immediately, they were closed for the weekend, so I called monday morning at about 9:30 Cali time). They said that since I "didnt call within three days (...do the math.... i called as soon as i could, still withIN three days) of receiving the package" then if i wanted a replacement I would have to pay for it. I went ahead and paid for the light. They offered to pay for shipping of the new part. Thanks, that helps a lot. Got the part, and I am waiting for the ML to get out the shop for other reasons, so i havent been able to see if they work yet. Ive got the two "pigtail" adapters, so I hope everything will work out. I'll see. By the way, PP wanted me to ship them back the broken headlight on my own expense. They gave me that same advice about not using mailbox etc or any other packaging or shipping shop like that. They said it would be cheaper and if i just gave it to a UPS guy directly. Thanks for stopping me from wasting some money PP....
--Alex
Old 04-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
Back in late January, I ordered the same ML headlight update from Performance Products, and i was told they were in stock and to be at my door within a week. March 28 they arrived. I took them out and saw that the driver side light had two broken plastic mounting tabs. One of the two tabs was SHIPPED and WRAPPED carefully, but most definitely broken off before being wrapped, in the box along with the headlight! I called them about it (got the lights on a friday afternoon, called immediately, they were closed for the weekend, so I called monday morning at about 9:30 Cali time). They said that since I "didnt call within three days (...do the math.... i called as soon as i could, still withIN three days) of receiving the package" then if i wanted a replacement I would have to pay for it. I went ahead and paid for the light. They offered to pay for shipping of the new part. Thanks, that helps a lot. Got the part, and I am waiting for the ML to get out the shop for other reasons, so i havent been able to see if they work yet. Ive got the two "pigtail" adapters, so I hope everything will work out. I'll see. By the way, PP wanted me to ship them back the broken headlight on my own expense. They gave me that same advice about not using mailbox etc or any other packaging or shipping shop like that. They said it would be cheaper and if i just gave it to a UPS guy directly. Thanks for stopping me from wasting some money PP....
--Alex

Sorry to hear what happened Alex you got screwed over worse then me.

but hey.....

DUDE DO NOT LET THEM GIVE YOU THAT 3 DAY CRAP!!!!!! Its not true its not fair. I didnt wait 3 days my package was sitting for 5 before i got around to opening it. And ih ad the same problem (THE 2ND time i got the lights just a week ago) I had one light that was packaged poorly and was missing the part then i had another light that was packaged right it had all the foam peices on the ends of the light. And that one was broken too.
I am really getting sick of Performance Products and i am going to keep knocking their name. That story up above really made me even more upset.
You should not have had to pay for thoselights THAT IS RIDICULOUS I want to call that guy up myself. Hes the manager and hes acting like its a big corporate place that cant make decisions like that to replace peoples parts. WELL PLEASE NO ONE RISK GOING TO PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS ANYMORE IF YOU GET A FAULTY PRODUCT YOU CANT RETURN IT!!!! Im telling this to everyone including my jeep wrangler brothers no more off roading stuff from this place.
-Steve
Old 04-09-2003, 05:40 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Originally posted by buddhatikigod
You should not have had to pay for thoselights THAT IS RIDICULOUS I want to call that guy up myself. Hes the manager and hes acting like its a big corporate place that cant make decisions like that to replace peoples parts. WELL PLEASE NO ONE RISK GOING TO PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS ANYMORE IF YOU GET A FAULTY PRODUCT YOU CANT RETURN IT!!!! Im telling this to everyone including my jeep wrangler brothers no more off roading stuff from this place.
-Steve
Bummer.

I've purchased a bunch of stuff from PP and even done two returns. No problems.

Heck, they even shipped one item 4 weeks early.

p.s. If you think the BBB is some kind of government entity you are sorely mistaken.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:09 PM

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
As a business owner, I can tell you, BBB is basically useless. They have no power whatsoever over a company except to write them a letter and inform anyone who asks that that company has either an unresolved dispute or no pending disputes. And how often do people actually call the BBB for a referral? You obviously didnt. I laugh when I see a letter from the BBB. In fact, sometimes, its quite entertaining HAHA. But seriously, if you want results, Id reccomend that you go to the Department of Law in whatever county your located in Cali and file a complaint there. I actually have a friend here in Atlantic City NJ who works for the Atlantic County Dept of Law, and I know when I see someone get screwed, I refer them to Him, and he gets good results. If that fails, call your credit card company and charge back the sale. And if that doesnt work, then go to Small Claims court and file suit. it only costs you $15 bucks, but they have to appear with an attorney since they are a company, and that will cost them a minimum of 5 big ones, so once they see this paperwork, they'll know you mean business and try to settle the matter out of court. And if you actually do wind up going to court after all of this, you'll definietley win. Best of luck.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:18 AM

CLK320, ML320, 300TE
its generally a shady company

I feel like its generally a shady company. When I call nothing is ever in stock, and everything is a few weeks waiting period. Plus their reps know absolutely nothing about any mercedes product!

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2003, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
believe it or not

I ordered a set of rear brake pads for my ML. Believe it or not, they sent me a set of USED pads!!! I was pretty shocked when I saw that. Anyhow, I had no trouble doing the return.