M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Hello everyone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
Hello everyone

New to these forums,

I am a proud owner of a 1989 535i BMW and My wife just purchased a 2001 ML320 at a dealer auction in PA and drove it home to Long Island, NY the same day.
She loves the MB! says it handles very well, is very comfortable.
The car is very nice. the exterior is immaculate...the interior on the other hand need detailing. It has a smell like someone forgot to let the interior dry before locking it after shampooing the carpet(I see evidence of it being recently shampooed.

What are the pros and cons of owning this MB truck? So far we could not get an inspection done because the ECU needed more time to reset. This is according to the inspection shop. He told us to drive it for a couple days and return for the inspection.

Any truth to this?

We were pleasantly surprised it came with Nav. however it only finds places in PA, Va and NJ. How do I get it to work in NY?

I am sure I will have more questions but for now if you can help me with these, I will appreciate it greatly.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:34 AM

ML320
409 looks and no replies? Did I do something wrong?
Old 07-18-2010, 08:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
W163 ML500 w/Kleeman headers (gone but not forgotten); R63
Originally Posted by eightynine535
New to these forums,

I am a proud owner of a 1989 535i BMW and My wife just purchased a 2001 ML320 at a dealer auction in PA and drove it home to Long Island, NY the same day.
She loves the MB! says it handles very well, is very comfortable.
The car is very nice. the exterior is immaculate...the interior on the other hand need detailing. It has a smell like someone forgot to let the interior dry before locking it after shampooing the carpet(I see evidence of it being recently shampooed.

What are the pros and cons of owning this MB truck? So far we could not get an inspection done because the ECU needed more time to reset. This is according to the inspection shop. He told us to drive it for a couple days and return for the inspection.

Any truth to this?

We were pleasantly surprised it came with Nav. however it only finds places in PA, Va and NJ. How do I get it to work in NY?

I am sure I will have more questions but for now if you can help me with these, I will appreciate it greatly.
Not sure about the ECU reset, but as to NAV, each disc only covers certain states. I would think NY would be on the same disc as NJ, but search on here or check with the dealer as to the right disc for your area.

MB ML's are hit and miss on repairs. Some have been money pits (moreso the early ones), some have been very reliable. You have the last year before the facelift (2002), but if it is in good shape, you probably have a reasonably relable one!

These cars are very comfortable, and reasonably roomy. The V6 gets decent mileage for a heavy car, towing capacty is debatable, but in Europe, it is rated over 7000 lbs.!

Enjoy the new purchase.

Regards,
Jerry
Old 07-18-2010, 10:11 AM

ML320
Originally Posted by gsfent
Not sure about the ECU reset, but as to NAV, each disc only covers certain states. I would think NY would be on the same disc as NJ, but search on here or check with the dealer as to the right disc for your area.

MB ML's are hit and miss on repairs. Some have been money pits (moreso the early ones), some have been very reliable. You have the last year before the facelift (2002), but if it is in good shape, you probably have a reasonably relable one!

These cars are very comfortable, and reasonably roomy. The V6 gets decent mileage for a heavy car, towing capacty is debatable, but in Europe, it is rated over 7000 lbs.!

Enjoy the new purchase.

Regards,
Jerry
Thanks for the reply. i will check the dealer about a NY NAV disk. The wife has 7 days to return it for full refund should any issues pop up. I will be taking it to MB for a full check up as I have been reading the horror stories online!! Wow! WTF happened to MB under Chrysler's reign?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
History and maintenance....

are key for any ML

I'd get a look at it's service history to see how many of the upgrades / recalls it's had performed on it.

Especially anything related to the power assisted hose 'pop off' problem.

Mine let go while my wife was driving and nearly caused a serious accident - no PAS at 55 MPH on a bend makes the ML almost uncontrollable, as my wife found out the hard way :-(

We sold our ML shortly afterwards.

That said - you might have got a 'good one' - they do exist, but it's a 'crap shoot'.

Good luck.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:37 PM

ML320
Originally Posted by timdf
are key for any ML

I'd get a look at it's service history to see how many of the upgrades / recalls it's had performed on it.

Especially anything related to the power assisted hose 'pop off' problem.

Mine let go while my wife was driving and nearly caused a serious accident - no PAS at 55 MPH on a bend makes the ML almost uncontrollable, as my wife found out the hard way :-(

We sold our ML shortly afterwards.

That said - you might have got a 'good one' - they do exist, but it's a 'crap shoot'.

Good luck.
I am reading this same sentiment over and over.

I have found the service booklet and a Delaware registration card in the owners manual folder. This car has painted pinstripes with the initials "JRT" on each front door. Now I know what it means....

The service booklet has 2 entries. the last one @ 1200 miles. damn!

does anyone know if I can contact the dealer listed in the booklet for a complete service history?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Others have tried to get a 'friendly' MB dealership to pull the whole service history - but more often than not have failed.

There's a very helpful guy over on the 'other MB forum' who works for a dealership who might be able to help / offer advice.

Suggest you pose your questions there and see what happens.