M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ml320 '99 having problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
ml320 '99 having problems

Hello im new,
I have a 1999 ML320 with 192k it had been running great till last week when it would not start when i was trying to leave a job. The suv had been setting for around 30~45minutes. The engine turned over but did not start. I try a few times as it does its own cycle every time i turn the key. After a few minutes the engine fired right up and ran great same as always. Then a few days later same thing but took longer than before to start this time. Last Friday same thing but this time I had to wait a good 40 minutes for the engine to start up after the engine cool down a bit. At the first stop light the engine died when i was stop waiting for the light. It started right back up and run fine with no problems for my drive home. On monday this week it run great I drove a good 200 mile while working and making a few stops and it started up no problem then later in the day i had to run back into work quick. It started right up then at the first stop light it died and took about 3 minutes before it started back up and again it ran fine for 16.8 miles to work and then after i ran in the office and back out to the suv. Maybe took me 10minutes to get back out and it started right up and ran great all the way back home. At about 10:10pm I left to go to a movie with some friends in my suv because they did not want to drive even after I told them it was have problems . We got to the first stop light that I had to stop at and it died again. This time It took about 20 minutes before it started up with me trying to start it every 30seconds almost. When its running it runs great no power lost or anything.
The fuel pump is also loud. I can hear it from a few feet away with the suv running. It also has the original fuel filter.
Im thinking of replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter.
Anyone have any ideas what the problem is???
thanks
Old 07-21-2010, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Could be your CPS - seems to have all the symptoms.

Search the forum for more info on how it fails and how to replace it.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:09 PM

ML320
Originally Posted by timdf
Could be your CPS - seems to have all the symptoms.

Search the forum for more info on how it fails and how to replace it.
thanks i'll give that a try today
Old 07-22-2010, 04:21 PM

ML320
the new CPS seem to have fixed the problems thanks