M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML320 dies on the Interstate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML 320
ML320 dies on the Interstate

Yo, this weekend on my way back from Orlando my ML320 dies on I-75. I was running about 80 in the fast lane when the acceleration got really jerky then when I pressed the gas, it wouldn't go. After that, all the lights on the dash came on and it shut itself off and I was left without and power. I luckily was able to coast the car to the side of the road and called Roadside assistance.

This happened in Gainesville, Florida and the funny thing was, we ended up accross the interstate from the Mercedes dealership.

Does anyone know what the problem might be???

That's not the first time it has happened. It did the same thing in Knoxville, Tennessee on Labor Day last year and I was told it was the "mass air-flow sensor". This time the service guy tells me it's fuel related and it is the exact same symptoms as before.

For some strange reason, this car does not like vacations.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
99 ML 430
Unhappy Did the steering go out too?

NOt sure what it cuz yours to fail but I had somewhat related problem. I was coming home from LA and my steering went out while driving. Pulled to the side and the pulley just gave out, this holds the bands together, the fans etc in the front. If I went a little further, I would of messed up my transmission.

I'm surprised yours is a 2000 model, i only had this problem last year and everything else is excellent. ( knock on wood) :p

Hope it won't cost you alot.

Good luck.

Andaya
Old 04-15-2003, 06:13 PM

CLK320, ML320, 300TE
ml problems

Yeaa, that almost happened to me with my 2001 ml i used to have. The fuel pump died when i wascoming back from the beach. Almost got stuck in 105 weather. Luckily i got it started one last time before service and the fuel pump officially took a crap in my driveway.

The 2003 ml is good so far, except the BAS ESP light comes on and steering seems loose like it is not attached correctly. It bangs forwards and backwards.

Now my 98 ML was a disaster. It had more than its share of problems and almost scared me away from the 2001 i got after.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I also had the fuel pump problem - only real problem so far (other than a couple of rattles).

Car lost all power in left lane of I-25 going through Denver. Not fun!
Old 04-17-2003, 12:32 PM

CLK320, ML320, 300TE
interesting information

Recently, while getting a carfax on a Leguna Blue 2001 M3 I was looking to add to my cars, I found a thing on edmunds.com that tells you the exact mercedes service schedules, parts changed, and their cost, and at what mileage they should be done.

Anyway, I then check the DOT website and apparantly, all ML's 98-03 have steering recalls for miscellaneous problems with the steering. Guess the 2003

Also, Lakeview is the closest dealer to my residence and I purchased the car at Helms Bros, yet Lakeview refuses to give us loaner car because we didnt buy from them? Can they do that?
Old 04-17-2003, 12:40 PM

2000 ML 320
I been to different dealerships too for some service work and they also denied me a loaner car. Apparently it is standard.

Thanks for the heads-up on the steering recall. Shouldn't MBUSA send something in the mail to all the owners?
Old 04-17-2003, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

into things
I had tons of problems on my old 1999 ML320...

1. One time, the pulley had stripped off damaging all components around it. Took the dealer for a week to fix it.

2. Twice power steering went out due to not tightened clamp on rubber hose.

3. Cheap cupholders and handles always break off.

4. Power window buttons sticky, had to be replaced once

5. Fuel pump changed on car 5 times because of intermittent failure.

6. Problems with 93 Octane gas. Engine started to hesitate continously when premium gas was used. Turned out that massive carbon buildup was found due to bad gas.

7. Loud suspension creaking when going over bumps, cornering, etc. (never fixed)