M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Mercedes mechanics the elite??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Ml 320
Mercedes mechanics the elite??

Well they act like theyre the elite.
I go in there today to Lewbar Imports a mercedes dealer in springfield, Ma i hate going in there. Anyways i just wanted to buy some oil and clear some questions i had regarding the types of oils to use.
So i go up to the desk wait in line a rep comes up or whatever position he would be and takes the quart of oil order. The order seemed weird to him, i guess not many people go in there and buy oil from them? Anyways im sitting there and theres this other mercedes tech guy sitting there fiddling with the computer i shoot the **** real quick with him and hes cool then i bring up a couple oil questions i had.
Wow, man i think he wanted me will me to die after that. I asked him how come you cant buy 0-40 by the quart but you use it when you change the oil on the mls. He gave me a really quick pissed off response that you can only buy it in bulk. I think for them to use 0-40 when they change the oil and to recommend to customers when they need oil to put in 15-50 is alittle weird (can anyone clear this up for me???)
So yeah i had a few more questions he was real quick and curt the whole time. Its like theyre used to customers coming in going "my oil light or some other light came on, dont know whats the problem fix it, bill me call me, later"

I hate how they belittle me. maybe its cause im 19yrs old, i dont know. believe me i defiently wasnt rude or anything

-steve
Old 04-16-2003, 07:34 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hey steve,

they probably buy the lighter oil in bulk. by this i mean gallons pumped into a bulk holding tank that they use throughout the service floor. they might get a good price on it and they probably also use it in other vehicles that they service. the lighter weight is good for year round driving. the demand for 15 50 is most likely not as great. that is why they only have it in quarts.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:12 PM

ML500
Maybe he's just not used to people buying oil there since you can get it anywhere cheaper than a dealer. Besides, he's not going to have much to say about oil anyway, there's more opinions about that than who's going to be in the superbowl.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Mercedes mechanics the elite??

Originally posted by buddhatikigod
Anyways im sitting there and theres this other mercedes tech guy sitting there fiddling with the computer i shoot the **** real quick with him and hes cool then i bring up a couple oil questions i had.
Wow, man i think he wanted me will me to die after that.
Maybe he was busy.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:04 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
Regarding the maybe he was busy comment
He was nice when we were talking about something else then when i switched over to the car questions he began to just give me quick not interested answers and not really forthcoming with some good info.
Does it make sense for them to use 0-40 when they change your oil then recommend 15-50 when you add some oil? I can understand that they dont have 0-40 in quarts and only have the 15-50 on hand and thats what they could give me in the mean time but he said that thats what your supposed to do in any circumstance whether he had 0-40 in quarts or not.
What he said didnt make sense to me, i usually read way to into things but it looks like he is used to giving out whatever information he wants to a customer and not to be contested by that customer. I didnt contest it i just got the info and left.
Pretty much everythin about Mercedes has left a sour taste in my mouth. They have a great reputation but for my penny i dont like this ML and the service was not as good as at my Honda dealer where i got my first car.
-Steve
Old 04-17-2003, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Originally posted by buddhatikigod
Regarding the maybe he was busy comment
He was nice when we were talking about something else then when i switched over to the car questions he began to just give me quick not interested answers and not really forthcoming with some good info.
That's common, I tend to do that too. All the technicians I know rarely discuss cars with each other. We work on them all day, so we really don't like casual conversations about them, we'd rather just talk about something completely different. That's why he was nice when you were talking about a topic unrelated to cars. I don't know the guy so I can't defend him, but that's probably what happened.