M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Valve train inspection help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320, Explorer, Porsche 914
Valve train inspection help

After reading other threads I inspected my 98 ML320 engine. Not surprising the valve covers and evaporators were leaking. So, I get new gaskets and RTV sealant, remove old valve covers and see lots of sludge. This engine is 13yrs old and 210,000 miles on it. Do I leave it alone and just replace the gaskets and sealant, or is there something more I can do or should do? I will for sure completely clean the Valve covers, replace cracked hoses, and do engine flush when done. I hear a slight ticking sound on passenger side rear valve train. What does one look for when visually inspecting the valve train? I took pictures for all to see..
Attached Thumbnails Valve train inspection help-inside-valve-cover.jpg   Valve train inspection help-timingchain.jpg   Valve train inspection help-valvetrain.jpg  
Old 09-04-2010, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
I would definitely clean the valve cover, but would not touch the internals. There is a possibility that a return hole could get clogged if you were to scrape at or even use compressed or something to clean up the engine.
I don't think RTV is required, it should be a rubber seal, not an actual gasket, unless the parts counter suggested it.
Regarding the ticking, it's NOT an ole Chevy where you could giggle the rockers arms to find the loose ones them snug em down. I do alot of my own work, but adjusting internal components on these engines could be a dangerous thing without the know how and specs to achieve the right tolerances.

Last edited by Benzo 003; 09-04-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320, Explorer, Porsche 914
Smile

Thanks for your info, I will leave enough alone. The MB Dealership swears by the MB Black sealant for the evaporator seal and I found that recommendation somewhere here in the forums also... Again thanks!!