M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

BAS ABS ETS lights on, cannot shift out of Park

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300
BAS ABS ETS lights on, cannot shift out of Park

Hi,
I got this 2005 ML350 Im working on and I could use some assistance from the pros.
BAS ETS ABS lights are on the dash. The shifter wont shift out of park. Stop lights are always on. upon scanning the brake system, I retreived the following errors:

A7/s1 BAS release switch : electrical fault current and stored
B34 BAS pressure sensor: electrical fault current and stored

The stop lighs were always on initially, but after removing the stop lights relay and plugging it back in a few times, that issue seems to have corrected itself. Also, this car does not have a brake light switch by the brake pedal, so that is throwing me off a bit with my diagnosis. I checked the power supply to both of those sensors and it checks out, both have a 5V signal coming in, the ground wires have continuity as well.
I was wondering if the two sensors mentioned above could cause all this? if so, would replacing them solve the issues, or is there something else involved that Im not aware of? Also, whish sensor is actually triggering the stop lights? From what I've read, on some models, the BAS release switch can only be replaced as an assembly with the brake booster, is that correct for this model as well? or does it come as a separate part?

Thank you
Old 09-10-2010, 02:36 PM

ml 320 2001
Thumbs up stuck in park

the plastic part does not even need to be in there. my local import car replacement company repaired it for $60.00. the towing cost me more.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:17 PM

01 ML55, 05 Jaguar X type, 05 mini Cooper convertible, 03 VW Eurovan
I literally just went through this yesterday. I searched previous threads and found out how to stick a pen in the shifter to get it out of park (and subsequently home). I got a new brake switch from the dealer for $26 plus tax, 30 minute job to replace, all is well with the world.

Steve