M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

2010 ML350 fuel economy issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350
2010 ML350 fuel economy issues?

I just got one of these a month ago, and I love everything about it except the fuel economy I seem to be getting.

On the fuel indicator on the instrument panel, there are 4 divisions and since the tank holds ~25 gallons we can just say each "quarter" division is about 6 gallons of gas.

That said, I filled my tank to the max and every time I start my car again I leave the "From Start xx.x mpg" screen on for me to watch. Typically I am pleased with that and around 17 mpg for city driving. Even if I take a really conservative estimate and say I was getting 15 (even though the cpu reads 17) I should still have driven 90 miles or so before the tank hits the 3/4 full mark. Not the case at all - it hit MUCH sooner around 50-60 miles driven in city conditions. All this despite the fact that the cpu from start always reads in the 17s.

Moreover, I noticed that if I go through a drive-through, the gas needle literally moves a few ticks right before my eyes.

I even consider myself a very conservative driver - cruise to red lights, accelerate slowly, oftentimes no foot on gas pedal.

So is this normal? Is there anything I can do?
Old 09-18-2010, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Check to make sure the air filter and/or intake is attached properly. Was your car recently in for any type of service? They might not have reassembled it correctly. It sounds like your not getting enough air in the engine and it is adding more fuel to compensate. That could be the only thing I can think of since your not throwing any error codes. IE: Oxygen sensor, but that would have a warning, if the airfilter/intake is secured right, then have them check for codes or the oxygen sensor anyway.