M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Ml Repair Maintenance, Common Problems Post HERE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML

I hear that, the rumbling sound around 2k when the Ml320 first accelerating from a stop would be nice if the car was fast now it just makes it seem like its struggling around that speed. They fixed that rumbling sound with the newer models right? I have a 99. Also with the rims, i drove an 02 320 first for awhile that had the fatter 17s then i buy my own with the stock 16s and i could definetly tell the diffrence. Im on ebay now looking for some new rims and tires, preferably a takeoff of a new model ML 500 or the Amgs are on there too but they are way too expensive, but they would be great, espcially chromed Can i take e class rims?
thanks
steve
To move fast from start, just use the touch shift feature - pull lever towards the "-" sign to get to a lower gear the floor it and shift accordingly. Works great and doesn't bother the tranny 'cause it's designed for that. And yes, the AMG's or any 17 or even 18 incher will make the ride stiffer (and better in my opinion). And NO, the E-class rim will not do because of the lower load rating (I haven't actually compared the load ratings but I believe the E-Class' load rating for the 17's is less that that of the M class 17's).
Old 04-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Ml 320
To move fast from start, just use the touch shift feature - pull lever towards the "-" sign to get to a lower gear the floor it and shift accordingly.

Yeah thanks for pointing that out.....but i dont have one. one of the things that made me like the ml was the touch shift then when i go and by one i get an earlier cheaper one and no touch shift.
IS there any way to enable this somehow? not on the shifter but maybe some other button that would let you switch up and down, thatd be nice
-steve
Old 04-25-2003, 10:02 AM

ML
...Yeah thanks for pointing that out.....but i dont have one. one of the things that made me like the ml was the touch shift then when i go and by one i get an earlier cheaper one and no touch shift.
IS there any way to enable this somehow? not on the shifter but maybe some other button that would let you switch up and down, thatd be nice
-steve
Oh brother, I feel your pain and there's no way I know of to activate touch shift if it's not OEM. I thought they all came with that feature. Is your vintage tranny the adaptive type? - does it essentially "learn" in near real time, your driving style? If it does, then when you floor it at take off on several occasions, it'll get the message and quickly modify the shift pattern based on throttle position. If it doesn't, then take off in "4" instead of "D", then shift to "D" at the correct RPM. May make it a little "spirited", at the expense of higher fuel consumption.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
If it does, then when you floor it at take off on several occasions, it'll get the message and quickly modify the shift pattern based on throttle position. If it doesn't, then take off in "4" instead of "D", then shift to "D" at the correct RPM. May make it a little "spirited", at the expense of higher fuel consumption.

Yeah i remember reading somewhere that it was an adaptive tranny. i always go real slow at takeoff. flooring it is no wear and tear on engine or tranny?
Old 04-25-2003, 01:04 PM

ML
...Yeah i remember reading somewhere that it was an adaptive tranny. i always go real slow at takeoff. flooring it is no wear and tear on engine or tranny?
The tranny has essentialy "learned" that slowness, if yoiu will. You don't litterally have to floor it everytime, but change the pace and you'll notice that in a little while, the pick-up'll be different. And yes, flooring it from standstill is BAD for both the engine and tranny, and also for the environment. Try taking off a bit faster a couple of times and you'll notice that the vehicle will start to respond differently. You can still coast to stop - that's good habit!!!
Old 04-25-2003, 08:06 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
ALRIGHT NEW PROBLEM THIS IS BIG AND ITS REALLY PISSING ME OFF
My oil, i havnt been too good about checking it i usually get it changed well before the 10k mark though. So i lost my license for 60days on february just got my license back a bit ago. Im driving my ml around the oil light comes on its so low on oil im a little worried but im thinking it was sitting for so long maybe i dont know that had an effect. So i dump two quarts of 15-50 in after the ml tech told me. 500 highway miles later i check my oil its low one quart and the oil is black so i pop another quart in. didnt pay much attention to color then either 800miles later it needs another QUART AND A HALF!!!!! my car has 53k on it its a 99 Ml320.
Any advice, or what the cause of this is? im calling up my mb guys tommorrow to bring it in. But its like going to court when you go there. You need to convince them that your problem is legit almost, so the more info i have the better basically.
Thanks i know some of you have really helped with the other questions i really apreciate it, i wish mb was that nice damn them

steve
Old 04-28-2003, 02:25 PM

99'Boxster '86 560SEL 00' 320 ML
it sounds like either your engine could be burning oil, or you have a gasket leak along the block. check undertneath and around the engine for any oil. if it's all clean, then perhaps you need a tuneup.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
it sounds like either your engine could be burning oil, or you have a gasket leak along the block. check undertneath and around the engine for any oil. if it's all clean, then perhaps you need a tuneup.

I just had a tuneup recently. I dont abuse the car at all.
-steve