M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Starting to get scared....2000 ML320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML320 & 2008 Toyota Sequioa
Starting to get scared....2000 ML320

Well I'm new to this forum and just happened to stumble accross this page after I have had some serious thoughts about my 2000 ML320. Thankfully I haven't really had many problems with this vehicle in the 5 years I have owned it. I bought it in 2005 with 90k on it. It only has 106k now. Yes the wife and I do not drive very much. I think a radiator hose replacement was the only issue so far except my fat buddy breaking the front seat trim where the seat controls are(any easy fix for that?). I just had 2 new front shocks installed for $500, I declined the rears at $1500. Now I am reading posts by others and the problems they had, or are having, with their 320's is getting me scared. This vehicle was purchased in Anchorage AK at a used car lot and it came to our attention it was a leased vehicle out of California. OK fine, it runs good, it looks cool, and come to find out it handles like a champ in the 6 months of snow and ice in Alaska and beats the crap out of Subarus with the clearance. (In low gear this little champion drove up my steep driveway with at least 2 feet of snow!) But is this car going to be a giant can of worms? What kind of preventative maintenence do I need to start doing now? I dont know the cars history; fuel filter replaced? I dont know. MAF?, dont know. Spark plugs? Who knows. What can I do now to prevent the big bucks in the future? Oh, and how do I fix the leaking window washer res.? Thanks for your support!
Old 10-26-2010, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320
my ml320 is a w163. I bought it a year ago with 127,000km on the clock. On all of the receipts from the previous owner, who had log book servicings done, the items were all fixed early, i.e. brake switch and the recalls. There have no other issues apart from expense of MB parts in Australia. The internet is your friend. The only thing that has gone wrong is the bloody fuel gauge. And that's more inconvenient that anything else. The best advice is to look after it and service it regularly. Even the basic 15,000km service (A) can be done by yourself. Even the (B) service is just more filters. Basically is a rugged stationwagon, not as refined as the sedans but worth the effort. It'll last for years.
All of the issues should have been sorted by the previous owners. If in doubt, troll these forums for the name of a good independent mechanic in your area and approach them to give the car a good going over. It'll cost you some dollars but at it should give you peace of mind and a heads up of any developing issues. Have fun!

Last edited by sweeper; 10-26-2010 at 11:30 PM.