M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

W163 Aircon clutch problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML55
W163 Aircon clutch problem

Hi,

My dads ML270 W163 Aircon clutch does not engage, we hooked up the Merc Diagnostic unit and the pressure checks out fine @ 6bar. If we force the compressor to engage it doesnt, the terminal on the compressor clutch does give 12V to the clutch. We even forced override the clutch from 12V from the battery. The coil from the clutch measures about 12 Ohm, thus about 12W which seems fine. How is it possible that although the clutch coil has resistance and should be ok that it doesnt engage? Is this a general problem.

NOW the other question. I have a ML55 W163 and my clutch never disengages even when I put it in ACrest mode and or put it totally off. I just found this out by chance this weekend when we checked my dads ML. The centre things keeps spinning , ALWAYS. Does this mean my ML55 clutch is also buggered? Maybe the clutch bearing has seized?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap solution?

I had a seal on my compressor leaking and ended up getting

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

It is a compressor and a clutch for $258. It is rebuilt by Denso (the original manufacturer). While I don't know about Denso I have visited Sanden (another Asian A/C manufacturer) and they rebuild their compressors to new specs tested the same way new ones are.

I would check out the voltage to the one with the stuck clutch and confirm that the voltage does cut off.