M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Ml designed for lots of maintenace?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 10:02 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Ml 320
Ml designed for lots of maintenace?

With all these little factoids i keep picking up about the Ml im starting to think Mercedes made a car that would need a lot of costly frequent work throughout its life.
The pads at 20k, the rotors at 40k. Losta little problems here and there. I cant think of the references for a high maintenance car but i remember reading them.
Anyone have any insight on this? Am i the only one who thinks this. Would mercedes actually design certain areas to make some more money? find out...when you respond to this message....
-steve
Old 04-28-2003, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Re: Ml designed for lots of maintenace?

Originally posted by buddhatikigod
With all these little factoids i keep picking up about the Ml im starting to think Mercedes made a car that would need a lot of costly frequent work throughout its life.
The pads at 20k, the rotors at 40k. Losta little problems here and there. I cant think of the references for a high maintenance car but i remember reading them.
Anyone have any insight on this? Am i the only one who thinks this. Would mercedes actually design certain areas to make some more money? find out...when you respond to this message....
-steve
The ML over the years has picked up a lot of problems, as you've probably read in this forum. For a $50,000 SUV, especially from Benz, you would not expect this kind of product to surface from them, some would say that their quality control has gone down over the years, more specifically with the ML. High maintenance? The regular service A & B are just about as normal as you can get, without having the extra problems that arrise. Things just keep breaking and wearing out faster..or atleast that seems to me and that just adds on to the list. So, I wouldn't say thats it a "high" maintenance car, just things here and there that either breaks or wears out that needs to be fixed or replaced and that's the most annoying part with the ML. Hope that answers your question...?
Old 04-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
The ML over the years has picked up a lot of problems, as you've probably read in this forum. For a $50,000 SUV, especially from Benz, you would not expect this kind of product to surface from them, some would say that their quality control has gone down over the years, more specifically with the ML. High maintenance? The regular service A & B are just about as normal as you can get, without having the extra problems that arrise. Things just keep breaking and wearing out faster..or atleast that seems to me and that just adds on to the list. So, I wouldn't say thats it a "high" maintenance car, just things here and there that either breaks or wears out that needs to be fixed or replaced and that's the most annoying part with the ML. Hope that answers your question...?

Definetly answered my questions. and gave me some more about the quality i had a nice 98 Accord V6 what made me trade up was the fact that i thought a benz would go to 200k no problem i thought luxury cars were built better from the ground up but all it is is the same junk with some nicer features and looks the accord was more reliable
thats what i mean about the breaking and wearing out, think they knew that would happen? (they being the engys) and would they do it on purpose?

-steve
Old 04-28-2003, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Definetly answered my questions. and gave me some more about the quality i had a nice 98 Accord V6 what made me trade up was the fact that i thought a benz would go to 200k no problem i thought luxury cars were built better from the ground up but all it is is the same junk with some nicer features and looks the accord was more reliable thats what i mean about the breaking and wearing out, think they knew that would happen? (they being the engys) and would they do it on purpose?

-steve
I think particularly the ML's have been hit hard with the quality control issues. I'm pretty sure that the C,E,S,CL,CLK,SLK and SL are built in Germany rather than Alabama for the ML's and I think those have much better build quality. The ones from Germany are sturdy, safe, etc as with any other Benz on the road. The ML is one of the safest SUVs on the road today. In '99, it was the NHTSA that gave the ML the number one safest SUV on the road. So, what you are driving is very safe, just the quality kinda sucks, IMO.
Sure, there are some that would debate that Benz has gone downhill a little bit in quality, with the use of cheaper materials in the cabin and such, but they still are safe cars and people know the name and what they are known for, luxury, prestige and SAFETY. Compared with your Accord to your ML, the accord may have a better build and overall better quality to it. I've seen a lot of ML's with over 100K on the clock and still going and some have more problems than others. Guess we got the bad batch? I compare my dad's ML to my 94 C220 with 125,000 miles on it and my C220 has a better build to it, IMO. Only things that have gone wrong are from normal wear and tear, such as the headgasket, etc. Build wise, it's very strong and safe and feels more like a benz to me. I mean, I feel safe in the ML, but the cabin doesn't really feel like a benz, atleast compared to the sedans quality. Good luck with your ML, if it's under warranty, get them things fixed b4 it runs out. Trust me, the warranty will pay off b4 the 50,000 mile mark is up...hehe.
I see your in Boston, what dealership do you go to?
Old 04-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
Lewbar Imports Im on the western side of Mass. I dont know why i put Boston. Yeah i havnt driven too many benzs before this one but from being inside a few its obvious that the ML is the most un Mercedes like Mercedes out there right now. I cant think of what to compare it too...Mercedes washed down with chrysler maybe?
-steve
Old 04-28-2003, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Lewbar Imports Im on the western side of Mass. I dont know why i put Boston. Yeah i havnt driven too many benzs before this one but from being inside a few its obvious that the ML is the most un Mercedes like Mercedes out there right now. I cant think of what to compare it too...Mercedes washed down with chrysler maybe?
-steve
What i've heard is that Benz isn't using Chrysler parts, but Chrysler is using Benz parts, like the rear suspension system borrowed from the new E-class is on some of the new Chrysler models. I hope that Chrysler doesn't take down MB, that would not be good. As with comparing the ML, I don't think you can compare with another model? But I could be wrong... Maybe you should think about trading in your ML for another model. I hear the new ML's have better quality to them, from friends and from what I have seen in the showrooms. Or even trade it in for a sedan..maybe the new e-class? those are nice and i'm sure that their build quality is better than the ML's. I'm sure out of every batch there's gotta be a few unlucky ones that make it thru and ppl get stuck with them. But that's with every car maker. If you haven't had many problems and you think it's worth keeping, then go for it, but if you've had to bring it back and such and dont want the hassel, step up to a new ML or another benz, if you can.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:39 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
hear the new ML's have better quality to them, from friends and from what I have seen in the showrooms. Or even trade it in for a sedan..maybe the new e-class? those are nice and i'm sure that their build quality is better than the ML's. I'm sure out of every batch there's gotta be a few unlucky ones that make it thru and ppl get stuck with them. But that's with every car maker. If you haven't had many problems and you think it's worth keeping, then go for it, but if you've had to bring it back and such and dont want the hassel, step up to a new ML or another benz, if you can.

If i CAN and damn it i cant. Im 19 im paying for this completely on my own. My ma thinks im nuts i just like having a nice car! But im not in the position to lose any more money trading this beast in.
-steve

Trending Topics

Old 04-28-2003, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
If i CAN and damn it i cant. Im 19 im paying for this completely on my own. My ma thinks im nuts i just like having a nice car! But im not in the position to lose any more money trading this beast in.
-steve
I give you props for being only 19 and paying for a ML. I guess the only thing is to bear with the car for now. What other problems have you had and how many miles you got on it? If you've been to the dealership to fix something three times and they haven't fixed the problem, maybe something to think about is the Lemon Law? hehe.

-Greg
Old 04-28-2003, 12:56 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
I give you props for being only 19 and paying for a ML. I guess the only thing is to bear with the car for now. What other problems have you had and how many miles you got on it? If you've been to the dealership to fix something three times and they haven't fixed the problem, maybe something to think about is the Lemon Law? hehe.
-Greg

I bought it at 40k now its at 53k with only an oil change and the b service. Ive let some of the basic small petty problems just be like the rear pillar plastic thingy peeling off stuff like that i get fixed when i need to go there for another reason. Bearing with the car is the only thing i can afford to do, and im always going extra easy on it so when another problem happens ima be pissed.....
-steve
oh one thing today for my first time idid a little gunning of the engine i was on the hiway doing 65 when this scmuck tries to be all smooth and pass me in a 3 lane hiway. So he gets stuck behind some car just a little ahead of me. I see an oppurtunity to sneak in and pull a slick manuever and jet past him so i did and in doing so i brought the engine to about 4000 and around 100mph he later drove down in the break down lane to pass me, so i let him win then cause thats just stupid. Oh he had a mitsubishi diamante scmucko I felt bad doing that to the engine but there was no noticeable noice it was really smooth when i gunned it
Old 04-28-2003, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
oh one thing today for my first time idid a little gunning of the engine i was on the hiway doing 65 when this scmuck tries to be all smooth and pass me in a 3 lane hiway. So he gets stuck behind some car just a little ahead of me. I see an oppurtunity to sneak in and pull a slick manuever and jet past him so i did and in doing so i brought the engine to about 4000 and around 100mph he later drove down in the break down lane to pass me, so i let him win then cause thats just stupid. Oh he had a mitsubishi diamante scmucko I felt bad doing that to the engine but there was no noticeable noice it was really smooth when i gunned it
NICE. Yea, they may feel they won the race, but in the end, u get to drive home in a BENZ. As for the engine man, I don't know what else to say. Ask your dealership to do an "Oil Consumption Test". This is where they stick a special dipstick and have u drive the car around for 600 miles then bring it back to see how much oil has dropped. This is what my dealership did. If the low oil light come on, then u have to bring it in immediately. See if they can do this. Another thing my dealership did was acutally look inside the engine with some fiber-optics to see if oil was leaking because they couldn't find anything wrong with the oil consumption because they said it's "normal".
When did the oil problem start? If it started before the 50,000 mile mark, you can try to ask them to do it under warranty because they didn't solve the problem yet?
Old 04-28-2003, 01:27 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
NICE. Yea, they may feel they won the race, but in the end, u get to drive home in a BENZ. As for the engine man, I don't know what else to say. Ask your dealership to do an "Oil Consumption Test". This is where they stick a special dipstick and have u drive the car around for 600 miles then bring it back to see how much oil has dropped. This is what my dealership did. If the low oil light come on, then u have to bring it in immediately. See if they can do this. Another thing my dealership did was acutally look inside the engine with some fiber-optics to see if oil was leaking because they couldn't find anything wrong with the oil consumption because they said it's "normal".
When did the oil problem start? If it started before the 50,000 mile mark, you can try to ask them to do it under warranty because they didn't solve the problem yet?

Its debatable when it started pretty much rightat the 50mark. I bought the car used with the Starmark warranty and i added and extra 2yrs and 20k miles so i think im set tillaround 70maybe?? The starmark is diffrent then the new benz warranty. Ive setup the appointment for them to monitor the oil consumption. The guy i talked to was really nice, he mentioned before i even brought it up that in some cases they replace the engine. Im gonna ...coerce him. Give him 100-200 to make the problem a little more apparent Heh. I might not have to man this problem is pretty bad, black as death oil and no idea where it burns leaks or goes. Same as you it seems Isnt mercedes great?!?!
-steve
Old 04-28-2003, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Its debatable when it started pretty much rightat the 50mark. I bought the car used with the Starmark warranty and i added and extra 2yrs and 20k miles so i think im set tillaround 70maybe?? The starmark is diffrent then the new benz warranty. Ive setup the appointment for them to monitor the oil consumption. The guy i talked to was really nice, he mentioned before i even brought it up that in some cases they replace the engine. Im gonna ...coerce him. Give him 100-200 to make the problem a little more apparent Heh. I might not have to man this problem is pretty bad, black as death oil and no idea where it burns leaks or goes. Same as you it seems Isnt mercedes great?!?!
-steve
Good move on the warranty, especially with the ML. Definately would be good if they gave u a new engine. Gotta keep me posted on that one. I think my oil problem isn't as bad as yours, mine runs a little longer, like 1500 more miles b4 adding..heh. IMO, the ML should have been built in Germany and not in the US. Look at the quality of the cars that come from Germany..so much better, even though benz does have some quality control issues, but not as big as the ML. I mean, my 94 C220 runs strong today with 125k miles and still going. I'm looking forward to that thing running for a while longer.. Keep me updated on u'r engine situation and maybe I can do the same thing with my dealership..hehe.

-Greg

curious, what part of Taxachusetts are u from?
Old 04-28-2003, 05:38 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
Western part Springfield
-steve
Old 04-28-2003, 05:38 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Ml 320
Western part Springfield
-steve