M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Hissing Noise under dash - brake pedal area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml320 2000
My seal had partially come out of position. I could not push it back into place because it looked liked it swelled up. However when I had the engine running, and then tried pushing it back, the engine vacuum pulled the seal back in, and the hissing went away.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:05 PM

2001 ml430
I h

Originally Posted by acurry13
oops, hit the wrong button.... anyway, if the noise is coming from under the dash by the brake pedal, it is a seal inside the car on the brake booster. You will need to access the booster from the inside, pull back the "bellows" cover between the brake pedal and the booster. You will see the seal in question. It is a bugger to get back into place, fits kind of like a grommet and is a fairly low durometer ...(if you don't have any mechanical ability, you may take a while to figure it out)... finagle the seal back into place (I used a little Mobile synthetic grease on the seal/grommet as this grease doesn't degrade rubber). Once you get that seal back into place, the hissing sound will stop.

Just to rehash, my vehicle was hissing when I released the brake and continued slightly as I was driving, and would stop when I applied the brake. The brakes worked fine as there was enough vacuum to maintain the the brake function...just an annoying hissing sound.

Wow!!! I ran across many threads on this site as well as others with the same symptoms that mentioned that they took the vehicle to the dealer or mechanic and they claimed that the booster was bad and undoubtedly charged big $$$ to replace the booster when actually only fitting the seal back into place.

Hopefully, this will help someone that is experiencing these symptoms.

Let's keep helping each other and please..NO MORE SUGGESTIONS TO TAKE THE CAR TO THE DEALER OR MECHANIC! That's not why we are on this site and is common sense if you can't figure the issue out.
I have found the part you need after a long time searching brake booster seal will cost about 40 to 50$ depending where you live 0014300708s , it's on eBay, rockauto on, and Amazon, the original distributor is europarts.com
Old 09-17-2017, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Can this replacement seal be installed without removing the brake booster from the vehicle?
Old 11-14-2017, 12:31 PM

04 Mercedes Benz ML350
Thumbs up Success!

Thank you, Lemottee. By the way... the website is eeuroparts.com, not europarts.com. Got the seal, installed, and the hissing is GONE! You don't HAVE to remove the brake booster, but I did and it made the install of the seal SO much easier than it otherwise might have been. Not much room underneath the steering column to manipulate the seal in cleanly and completely.

Originally Posted by Lemottee
I have found the part you need after a long time searching brake booster seal will cost about 40 to 50$ depending where you live 0014300708s , it's on eBay, rockauto on, and Amazon, the original distributor is europarts.com
Old 10-18-2018, 11:58 AM

01 c320
Originally Posted by Mertek71
acurry13...... I have the same symptoms with my 00' ML320 and with your advice I inspected the seal above mentioned
. "Booom", you hit the bloody nail on the head, after closer inspection, I noticed the seal was split and with the engine running, I placed my finger on the split area of the seal and the noise immediately stopped.
To confirm this was the issue, whilst holding pressure on the split area of the seal, I pressed the brake pedal a number of times with my other hand and no hissing sound what so ever was heard.
I will order a new seal and replace next few weeks......... will post results on completion of the job regarding issues along the way.

Cheers Guys
This is the rubber seal that mechanics will want to replace the entire booster.ive looked everywhere for a quick fix and couldnt find one.So im gonna share this little fix i discovered and its been sealed and quiet for a year now. Saran wrap. take a piece and place it around the plunger and rubber seal and the vacuum from the booster will draw it in to the leak and seal it.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML270
Sorry to hear this, i have the same problem, and just researching it, just found this repair video on youtube
Seal kit £80 as a diy repair hope it helps someone
The following users liked this post:
Rmax (07-01-2021)
Old 11-30-2018, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by moonboy73
Sorry to hear this, i have the same problem, and just researching it, just found this repair video on youtube https://youtu.be/3sb1WGY3hjY Seal kit £80 as a diy repair hope it helps someone
Even cheaper..... here and here too and here 3 (for those in Europe) post #41
OR as mdh03's suggestion.....free

Last edited by khomer2; 11-30-2018 at 07:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rmax (07-01-2021)
Old 06-06-2019, 10:47 AM

Vectra B 2.0 Auto.
Hi from Turkey in İstanbul; I have a Vectra B 2.0 Auto. and I live same problem on my car. your cars and vectra b use same break booster brand ATE and ı find this forum on web so I fix it mdh03 answer ;
This is the rubber seal that mechanics will want to replace the entire booster.ive looked everywhere for a quick fix and couldnt find one.So im gonna share this little fix i discovered and its been sealed and quiet for a year now.Saran wrap.take a piece and place it around the plunger and rubber seal and the vacuum from the booster will draw it in to the leak and seal it.
Thanx mdh03 and forum general users.. have a good days..