M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

HELP! Expert advice needed (new car problem)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350
HELP! Expert advice needed (new car problem)

Hello,

I purchased a new 2011 ml350 about two weeks ago. One week after driving I found out there's a defective differential seal (leaking). The dealing took it in and ordered replacement parts (from Germany as no parts available in US). A week goes back and today the dealer calls me and said the part will not be available until Feb. 13. They may consider replacing the whole differential as an alternative option.

Needless to say I'm very upset. I'm seeking advice on what best course of action to take.

Do I:

1. Let them replace the differential? My concern is that it seems like a pretty major job. I imagine that replacing a major car component would affect the overall reliability/longevity of the car since it is not the same as "new" when it was first put together at the factory. Is this true?

2. Wait for the seal replacement part to arrive on Feb. 13. I'm not sure if they'll even let me have this option or not. The benefit I think would be that only a seal is replaced and the overall integrity of the car is untouched. (Again don't know if it's a valid concern as to the overall integrity or value of the car long-term).

3. Do I have any other recourse like making the dealer replace with a new car? I live in CA and I know that lemon law requires at least two attempted repairs or a month in repairs without use.

Thanks in advance to those who can help!!

JJ
Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 VW cc, 2004 ML350
Wrong forum, your ML is a W164.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by jjml350
Hello,

I purchased a new 2011 ml350 about two weeks ago. One week after driving I found out there's a defective differential seal (leaking). The dealing took it in and ordered replacement parts (from Germany as no parts available in US). A week goes back and today the dealer calls me and said the part will not be available until Feb. 13. They may consider replacing the whole differential as an alternative option.

Needless to say I'm very upset. I'm seeking advice on what best course of action to take.

Do I:

1. Let them replace the differential? My concern is that it seems like a pretty major job. I imagine that replacing a major car component would affect the overall reliability/longevity of the car since it is not the same as "new" when it was first put together at the factory. Is this true?

2. Wait for the seal replacement part to arrive on Feb. 13. I'm not sure if they'll even let me have this option or not. The benefit I think would be that only a seal is replaced and the overall integrity of the car is untouched. (Again don't know if it's a valid concern as to the overall integrity or value of the car long-term).

3. Do I have any other recourse like making the dealer replace with a new car? I live in CA and I know that lemon law requires at least two attempted repairs or a month in repairs without use.

Thanks in advance to those who can help!!

JJ
You are in the wrong forum this is for older ML's ie W163's. However I do not know why you are whining, the dealer will fix the problem one way or another, thats what warranty is about. I assume that you are either driving your ML or a dealer supplied loaner. Why would you expect a new car?? Thats unreasonable for a minor complaint and by the way either of the repair options is not a real big deal.