M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML 350 Headlight Blunder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML
ML 350 Headlight Blunder

Well my newly acquired 2003 ML 350 had a terrible case of oxidation on the headlights. So to fix? Purchased headlight restorer at the local auto parts store. Passenger side..done not 100% but close. Down to the drivers side..in the process of restoration I noticed about three or four large dead bugs in the headlight. So I do research and realize the only way to get to these eyesores is to loosen the glue. So I put in the oven at 250 for 8 min. Good News..loosened the glue and cleaned the bugs out. Bad news..my oven was a little cramped and the only way the headlight would fit was face down at an angle. I had tin foil down and thought it would be safe. Dumb move. I have now about a quarter inch indention from the oven rack. Not terrible but still one of those things you see and know it could have been easily avoided. Conclusion..Is there any possible way to buy a new headlight lens?
Old 02-14-2011, 11:23 AM

2003 C240; 2002 ML320
Hi,

I have a 2002 ML320 and am also interested in cleaning up or replacing the headlights. I have done some research over the past couple of weeks on this and one other Mercedes-related message board and, form what I can tell, it does not appear to be possible to replace just the plastic lens cover for the headlight assembly. I would prefer this option if it were available, but it looks to me like the only choice is to install new headlight assemblies if you undertake a restoration effort and it does not end up meeting your expectations.

I was wondering if you might help me with something that I have not been able to find a clear answer on . . . you obviously removed the headlights off of your '03. Was that process difficult? What exactly is involved in that process? I have seen instructions for '98-'01 indicating that it might be as simple as taking off a small trim piece from underneath each assembly and then three(?) bolts, but I have found nothing specific for '02 and up. If you could let me know what your experience was, that would be really helpful.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:33 PM

2003 ML
Headlights

It necessarily wasn't difficult. The only way to take the lens off is to pry the lens off which has been glued on by Mercedes. The way around this is to take the trim piece off of the exterior and then remove the 10mm bolts that keep the headlight assembly in place. Once you have removed the assembly by unhooking the two wiring harness, you will be able to see that there are little tabs that seem to hold the lens in place. Unfortunately in addition to these tabs, glue also seals the lens. The way around this was I put the whole assembly in the oven for 8 min at 250 degrees. Looking back I would probably only do about 5 or 6 min. Be sure to put the headlight on something that will not melt the plastic. A cooking tray I believe would work fine. Also, take out both bulbs before putting in the oven. After "cooking," the lens comes right off. Some how bugs managed to get inside of my lens and become a major eye sore. After cleaning the lens and getting all of the bugs out, The lens still had adhesive from the glue on it so I simply just stuck the lens back on and used the tabs to secure it. I hope this helps. Sure beat the $500 dollars to replace the lights. Also I am not sure if your lights have the haze on them like mine did but this was an easy fix with the help of some headlight restorer from your local auto parts store.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:53 PM

2003 C240; 2002 ML320
Thumbs up

Thanks for your quick and detailed reply. I have been toying around with the idea of getting some of the "halo" projector-type headlight assemblies if the restoration is not entirely to my liking. I like the "halo", which the headlights on my '02 currently do not have, and I also read in some other messages that someone who bought these as a replacement also got an added (and unexpected) benefit of a dimmer "city-driving" low beam headlight setting, in addition to having the regular low beam setting.

Regardless of what I decide to do (restore vs. replace), I won't be doing anything until the weather warms up (probably late spring or early summer). Either way, your message and reply to my questions are very helpful and greatly appreciated!!