M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

blower fan heater/air conditoner problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 ML 320
Exclamation blower fan heater/air conditoner problem

ok, i've had a problem with my blower since last summer. symptom is when i have the setting with a/c on all the way to cold(blue), the vents will blow super hot as if i have the heater on. the same scenario happens when i have the setting in the middle(blue and red). i have had the a/c system re-charged. still, the same symptom happens. it's a '99 ml320 if it matters. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by soobieajax325; 03-05-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:04 PM

1999 ML 320
anybody...?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:02 PM

ML430
air blend motor or heater valve. you can diagnose the air blend motor easily just by listening. If it sound like a clock is ticking when you move the temperature switch from hot to cold then it is the air blend motor. a more complete diagnosis can be done by removing the dash glove box and in the left corner behind the metal tube is a plasic linkage and metal arm. you can view the operation of the motor. if it moves all the way foreward and back it is ok. if you can push on it and it moves more it is bad. However it could be a bad electrical connector and not the motor. Motor costs less than $200. labor is about $1200. involves taking the dash out.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:15 AM

01 S2000, E46 M3, 99 ML320
Originally Posted by Clukenbill
air blend motor or heater valve. you can diagnose the air blend motor easily just by listening. If it sound like a clock is ticking when you move the temperature switch from hot to cold then it is the air blend motor. a more complete diagnosis can be done by removing the dash glove box and in the left corner behind the metal tube is a plasic linkage and metal arm. you can view the operation of the motor. if it moves all the way foreward and back it is ok. if you can push on it and it moves more it is bad. However it could be a bad electrical connector and not the motor. Motor costs less than $200. labor is about $1200. involves taking the dash out.
Wow sadly this sounds like my problem as my A/C seems to be leaking. After a full recharge, the cold air lasts about 3 days and is gone. They did a check under the hood and said nothing is leaking so it must be behind the dash.

I think it might be this blend motor

Is there DIY instructions on how to remove the dash? My mechanic said I can save some labor if I take the center console and dash off....

thanks!