M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

03 ML350 - 2 Strange issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350 Inspiration
03 ML350 - 2 Strange issues

Hello all... 87,000 miles.

Just recently the oil light in my ML started coming on.. It doesn't happen right away, but after some time driving.. Maybe 15-20mins.. Sometimes it will shut off again.. The manual is a bit confusing on what the light really means.. I checked the oil level, and its just fine.

Second problem is really weird for me..
I am getting very severe wear on the front tires, but in an odd pattern..

|--X|=========|--X]
^ tire
X - wear

the right sides of each - for about 1.5inches, is completely bald right now. I need to replace the front tires. The front end of the car has had many replacements - all ball joints, control arms, shocks.. the only thing that hasn't been replaced really is steering and sway bar.. When I turn the wheels full left, it makes a creaking sound like an old wooden ship. In that position, bouncing on the car makes creaking noises too, which is why I suspected the sway bar bushings.

Any idea what this could be? The tread wear is odd to me, as if both tires are tilted top-right... And it's tracking really weird. There doesn't seem to be any physical play in the wheels when jacked up.

Any help appreciated! Thanks!