M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Laughable ticking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 500
Laughable ticking

Laughable ticking coming from my ML 500.

Sorry for trolling so hard that my first post is a "help me" post but I couldn't resist. The ML just hit 70,000 miles and has developed a laughable tick. Almost to the point where it sounds like the motor is about to blow up.

Oil level is fine (and always has been)
Correct oil type used....not 10w40 or some other honda/toyota oil
93 oct only
oil changed every 3000
Radiator fluid changed
Not driven hard

Truck has given us no problems. Never left us stranded, great in snow, MB ride quality we all love. Does not run hot. Etc, etc. Only thing that has been replaced is the brakes, rotors, and key less entry battery.

Now, most people have been telling me its the lifters....my only answer is to that: already?

Maybe there is a list of things that I should of have been replacing/maintaining? I am not pompous or anything. If I am in error here go ahead and flame me now.

Beautiful car now it sounds like someone is sitting in the seat behind me shaking a soda can that is full of pennies.

PS: A lot of beautiful cars on this forum!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Is it definitely coming from the engine compartment? I wonder if your blend air flap motor is going? Does the noise go away when you change the tempature on the air conditioner/heater dial?