M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Transmission needs replace?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML320 W163
Transmission needs replace?

Hi,

I've been having issues with my transmission lately where the gear seems to be stuck and it only happens intermittently when I accelerate from stationary. When this happens, the car revs but goes no where (like I'm reving in neutral) so I have to pull over turn off the engine and start it again, then the car is good again. Again, this only happens intermittently.

I have the "ESP/BAS, ETS and ABS" lights that only come on after I drive out of the drive way - straight after it a noise come on that sounds like the car is groaning then stops straight away.

I have searched the forums to see if i can find out whats wrong and it seems like i have a transmission problem, which is common with ML's W163 after 100,000km (mine is 200,000km) and their fix (most of them) is to do a transmission fluid change and replace the conductor plate (speed sensor). I'm planning to do a transmission fluid/filter change since I'm due for it and hold off on the conductor plate replacement because my problem doesn't occur as frequent as those guys on the other posts. AND I'm not sure if my conductor plate is faulty; although the general feeling on the forum and web that the conductor plate is a common faulty part after 100,000km as well...I guess we can add this to the list of "ML320 Common Problems"!

Do you guys think i should change the plate? or should I just change the transmission fluid and see if that fix the problem?

thanks in advance.

Mike.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
How about have it checked for fault codes so your not guessing?
Old 01-07-2012, 06:29 PM

2002 ML320 W163
I was going to change the transmission oil and filter this weekend but I've held off on it because I think I might need to change the speed sensor after doing some research on the forums so I'm guessing its the speed sensor. I'll get the car scanned tomorrow.

Do you think its the speed sensor?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Hmmmm.. hard to say. Usually it will go into limp home mode if its a speed sensor, but it could be I suppose, anything is possible.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:28 AM

2002 ML320 W163
Transmission oil and filter changed!

Okay, so just an update ended up changing the transmission oil and filter..it wasn't too bad, thanks to the DIY thread!

The car seems to run a little better but the warning lights are still there. Will have to wait and see if the gears get stuck again though. The crazy thing was when i emptied the transmission oil, there wasn't even three quarts in the car! That's probably because it was leaking all over the transmission area under the car and on the electrical plug connector (gave it a wipe but I'm going buy a new o-ring tmr). And as you can see from the picture, there was metal bits in the pan as well. Is that normal? wear and tear?

I poured 5 quarts back in and have 1 spare just in case.

I have a feeling the ABS pump is gone (theres moisture on it) because those warning lights and the groaning are still there, I guess the scan is going to tell me.

Anyone suggest what's causing the warning lights (ESP/BAS, ETS and ABS) and short groaning after driving away from the drive way?
Attached Thumbnails Transmission needs replace?-img_0778.jpg   Transmission needs replace?-img_0758.jpg   Transmission needs replace?-img_0760.jpg   Transmission needs replace?-img_0766.jpg  

Last edited by MLSYD; 01-08-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:38 PM

1999 ML320
I have the same problem..it was really bad at one point..i got fluid changed from a trans shop...they said there looked like there had been minor damage to some part in there(sorry)...very rarely does the tranny act up like that anymore, usually with cold start up and a not allowing it to warm up