M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML320 intermittent start problem.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2012 | 11:06 AM

ML320
ML320 intermittent start problem.

2000 ML320 with 149k miles. Computer scan shows no codes.

Serpentine belt broke due to a bad tensioner pulley and both were replaced, battery was then charged fully and reinstalled.

Car starts ok and works perfectly well for a few days and then will not start. No crank, just a click sound when turning ignition. When this happens, the car will start right up the next day. Already replaced starter solenoid relay (k8) and Crank Position Sensor. Replaced batteries on key and reset per instructions in manual.

Ive been having this problem for over a month now and have probably read every single thread on this forum dealing with start issues on the MLs. I'm pretty sure it may have something to do with the drive authorization system but I am broke and cannot afford another trip to the dealer.

I know the intermittent start issues are common with the ML, and I have checked fuel pressure, replaced CPS, Relays, etc.. as suggested in certain threads here but the problems persists.

My question is, Is there a way to determine the exact issue causing the problem being that no fault codes are shown and without having to have the dealer start replacing parts ***** nilly? Some folks here have replaced a lot of parts, including the DAS, AAM etc.. and have yet to get the problem squared away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am this close to taking a Louisville Slugger to the damned thing.
Old 01-10-2012 | 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
One click when turning the key indicates a faulty starter. Rapid clicks indicate a faulty battery.

The one click usually occurs after trying to restart the car after the hot engine and starter have been shut down.
Old 01-10-2012 | 01:05 PM

ML320
Thanks Maj. Dundee. I had the starter checked and it is working properly. (it was the very first thing I checked)