M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

??'s for the MB techs, or anyone with MB knowledge (long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 Turbocharged Toyota Camry Showcar, and my new 2000 Lexus GS400
??'s for the MB techs, or anyone with MB knowledge (long)

ok, here the low down. For quite some time, my dads 98 ml320 has been acting up. the first problem he has been having is that the little fan (that i just found out today is an injector cooling system) has stopped working. I remember when he first bought it that i thought it was wierd to be making that noise, but after a while it started to go away little by little, ie:would run and stop and run and stop...almost as if the motor was dying. so that started probably about a year ago. My dad took it to the MB dealer and they told him that it was "the ECM cooler and is supposed to sound that way". Regardless of that, the MIL kept coming on with a fault reading "exhaust gas recirculation malfunction" and "Fuel Trim Malfunction (bank 1)". Now i dont even hear the Injector cooler running any more and the MIL came back on once again. this time the codes came out in this order:

1: P0170-Fuel Trim Malfunction (bank 1)
2: P0105-Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Malfunction
3: P0173-Fuel Trim Malfunction (bank 2)
4: P0400-Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Malfunction

My dads been saying that sometimes on a hard acceleration attempts, the car will alot and not respond as good as its supposed to. He also told me that when he was stopped at a light, the car started sputtering like if it were to have a misfire. after it did that its been running like "normal". Also, when he parks it in the garage, there is the smell of gasoline coming from the engine compartment like its spilling out somewhere, but he says that the gas mileage is good. He bought it Pre-Owned Starmarked when it had 29,000miles on it, it now has 130,000miles on it. When he bought it, they had a problem with the fuel tank and two injectors, so they replaced the tank, two injectors and all 12 o-rings.

Now, my questions are:
1.If the Injector cooler stopped working, Could this be the source of the problem?
2.My dad thinks it has something to do with the Injectors as it says that they should be replaced after about 100,000 miles. He just ordered new set of o-rings and wants me to install them for him. How difficult is it to get the injectors out? (i used to work at a VW dealer as a tech, but mercedes are a diffrent breed altogether)
3.What would your diagnosis be if you had your hands on this car?

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRICATED!!!

Also, does anyone know where i can get a MB w163 Service Manual? Im talking the official ones, not the Haynes crap (if they even make them).
Old 06-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Try this site

Carlos,

I don't have the answers you are looking for, please try this site http://www.mercedesshop.com/.

There are a few members who are MB master tech., they might be able to help you. Good luck.

Russell
Old 06-27-2003, 06:34 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 ML 430
P0170 (and 0173) accompanied by poor acceleration is a sign that the MAF sensor is bad. You'll need to have that changed. Not sure about the rest though.

see some discussions on benzworld.org forum.