M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML 320 won't go into Park...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E430, ML320
ML 320 won't go into Park...

My daughter has an ML320 with a broken gas gauge so she periodically runs out of gas. Yesterday she was driving on the interstate when she thought she heard the car sputter. She was close to an exit ramp with a service station so she shifted the car into neutral thinking it would extend her coasting range.

She came close making it, but once she put the gas in she realized the shifter would not go into park to start the car. I went to look at it and also could not get it into park. The shift lever seemed to move easily through the other positions. The truck can be pushed easily in neutral and less easy in other gear positions. It cannot be pushed forward when in the reverse position. So we pulled it with a strap a few miles to my house.

Since it won't go into Park, it won't start. So I have two questions: First, anyone have any ideas why it won't go into Park, plus possible solutions and Second; is it possible to push start the car when it is in a gear so I can at least drive it to a shop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.