M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Leaking Bilstein Rear Shocka- Follow Up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350 and CLK 350 both '07
Leaking Bilstein Rear Shocka- Follow Up

Some of you may recall I had leaking OEM rear shocks on my '07 ML350. I had the shop install replacement Bilsteins and they failed on the way home... both sides puking oil until they were dry.

I returned to the shop the next day where they apologized all over themselves, even though it was not their fault. They immediately had the parts shop bring over another set.

The Technician refused to mount them, noting the top of the shocks, on both the first replacement ones and the second ones were not sealed and the chance of the second failure was very high.

My shop ordered-in OEM shocks from the M-B dealer and installed them at no (additional) cost to me for parts or labor. I was happy camper. All this has been reported previously.

Contacted Bilstein US and have been corresponding with the appointed interface guy. At first he seemed interested in getting to the bottom of the issue but he soon said that it was really OK since Bilstein not only made the replacement aftermarkets I tried to buy but also made the OEM ones as well. Apparently his interest extended only as far as to whether Bilstein made a sale.

At my request, he said he would look into the issue and let me know if there had been other failures. Hearing nothing from him... once a week I emailed him asking for an update. Each time, at first, he said still looking into it. Then it shifted to "no information". Yesterday we had a "terse" exchange that basically resulted in him saying there was nothing more he intended to do.

I think Bilstein failed in several areas... 4 failed shocks, costing me time, money, and a garage floor stained with their oil. Next they damaged their reputation for selling a product that not only failed but poor customer relations and follow-up.

All this is posted after I last asked for his help in understanding the failure mode and all I got was defensive replies and a brush-off. He complained that he could not be expected to help since he did not have the shocks, and perhaps I could send them to him. I pointed out that on the first contact... weeks ago I supplied the contact information for the shop.

I do not know if there are other brands that will fit either of my two Mercedes but If there are... they will be my first choice from now on. If any of you have had a similar failure of either the shocks or of Bilstein customer service, please feel free to post here or contact me by PM.

FYI.

Last edited by hopz; 09-01-2012 at 10:59 AM.