M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Transmission Fluid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 ML500 4JGBB75E56A053890
Question Transmission Fluid?

I recently bought a 2003 ML350 with 76k miles on it. I am looking at doing the fluid changes here shorltly. I am a believer in Amsoil, and noticed that Amsoil doesn't list an ATF for the ML's. As I have been looking around for transmission fluid on the internet and haven't actually found any OEM fluid yet, but lots of other fluids marketed by vendors as suitable for the ML but not MB. Has anyone put Amsoil ATF in an ML? And if you know why I shouldn't even consider it, why?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by dfghhgfd; 09-08-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:55 AM
DrX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 ML320, 2003 A160
You should consider ATF recommended by the manufacturer. The list is pretty short. You can find OEM fluid at your MB dealer or online stores like parts.com or MBpartsworld.com

If you think OEM fluid is too expensive ($19.50 per bottle), there is one other approved ATF - Shell ATF 3403-M 115.

Automatic transmission fluids (ATF, Sheet 236.10).PDF
Specified gear oils - sheet 231.1.PDF

In the latest spec sheet, Shell 3403 is called SPIRAX S4.

Which brand of ATF you put into your ML is up to you.

Last edited by DrX; 09-14-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML 350
hi , I tried to search on forum for this topic but have no results, the manual book says ATF from MB is Lifetime,but dealer suggested that it should be changed in every 50k miles (?)What 's the business!!! My question is : where are the Fill-in and Drain-out caps for ATF ? and how many quart ? I wonder if you post it up in forum as DIY instruction. I'm sure it very interest with many guys here. Thanks
Old 09-14-2012, 07:10 PM
DrX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 ML320, 2003 A160
At the time of manufacture, the transfer case was designed to be sealed "for life" and not require fluid changes. That remains the recommended MB service interval. However, some owners and dealers have considered renewing the ATF. Some of them have done it. It's your decision.

There's a how-to video on YouTube here: DIY links incl transfer case fluid change
Old 09-26-2012, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Mercedes ML320
This info came from http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...d-change.html:

Transfer case fluid change

I thought I'd post this info since the transfer case fluid change is a hot topic as of late.
ATTENTION!: ML owners who have a strange clicking noise that seems to be emanating from the left rear section of your vehicle at very slow speeds. This may be your trouble.

1. Do NOT put the car on wheel ramps! You want it as level as possible. You could preferrably jack up the front a couple of inches (secured with jack stands) so you can scoot under it. If you have access to a rack, that would be even better.
2. Remove the TOP fill plug FIRST by using a 3/8" ratchet extension end (fits right in the plug). It'll be tough because some kind of sealant was used to secure the plug.
You remove the top plug first in case the drain plug removes easily and the top plug cannot be removed. I wouldn't want you to drain your fluid and then be unable to remove the top plug to refill it.
3. Remove bottom plug and drain fluid (note: Dexron III transmission fluid is RED and what you're draining out will probably be black!). You may find metal shavings in the fluid. Whether this is normal or not is up in the air, but don't sweat it for now unless it's 'silver glop' instead of fluid you drain out! Replace drain plug.
4. To refill, use DEXRON III automatic transmission fluid, preferrably a reliable brand such as Valvoline High Mileage or Texaco. You will need some kind of bottle that will have a spout that will fit up to the top plug for refilling. I went to the Beauty salon supply store and bought an angled spout bottle that I could fill up with fluid and then empty into the hole. You could also use a sports drink bottle with an angled nipple.
5. Fill until it runs out the top hole. When this happens, you'll have about 1.8 qts. of fluid in the case. Replace top plug.
6. Drive you car for about 3000 miles and change it again!

It took 3 changes to eliminate my clicking noise. It is possible that this won't correct the problem on some vehicles and your transfer case may need replacing (forbid that to be the case!). I wish you well.

Here is a pic of the transfer case, courtesy of Wolfgang's ML page: www.whnet.com/4x4
Attached Thumbnails