M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

HELP! No AC & Windows wont Roll Down!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Mercedes ML320
HELP! No AC & Windows wont Roll Down!

Okay, I have a 1998 ML320. For about 3 months now the windows and the seats haven't been working. All of a sudden one day when I got in to go home, both the power seats quit working and the windows quit working at the same time. At first I was told it may be the master switch control panel on the console, but this part controls the windows and the door locks, not the seats, and the door locks still work thank God! The seat controls are on the seats themselves. Obviously I have some sort of wiring or connection problem, but NO ONE wants to work on it where I live. My dad owns a repair shop and they do not know how to fix it. I don't wanna pay $$$ and drive to Jacksonville for the Mercedes Dealer.

On top of that my AC became stuck on heat yesterday, and has yet to go back to blowing cool air. This happened once before, but back then I was able to roll my windows down. Now, of course, I feel like I am going to suffocate in there by the time I get home!

I need some advice or help on how to fix at least one or both of these problems. I love my ML, but I may have to get rid of it if I can't fix it. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
This is a ground issue. Ground W18 controls the power windows and the left front seat. Ground W19 controls the right front seat. Remove the key from the ignition. You will then have to remove both front seats.

Coming up from a cut in the rugging will be the elec. connector for the seat. Spread the cut open and look for a large BROWN wire bolted to the metal floorboard. Remove , clean and re-bolt. Then do the same thing for the other side.

Put the seat back in place but do not bolt them down. Then connect the connectors back in place to both seats. Then and only then do you try to operate the windows and the seats.

Post back with results.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! No AC & Windows wont Roll Down!-w18.jpg   HELP! No AC & Windows wont Roll Down!-w19.jpg  

Last edited by Maj. Dundee; 09-27-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:56 PM

1998 Mercedes ML320
Thanks so much! I am taking this info to my mechanic now and will post back with results.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:35 PM

1998 Mercedes ML320
Well Maj. Dundee, unfortunately that didn't work. But thanks for the advice!