M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Temporary fix for stuck ML windows

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Temporary fix for stuck ML windows

I feel bad for anybody with an ML who has pulled up to a tollbooth during a rainstorm, only to have the window switch fail and getting drenched. Here's a temporary fix that will raise the window back up. First, pull up on the window switch until the black button breaks off (trust me, it's already broken so it can't get worse). Once you pull the black piece off, there is white plastic piece underneath it. This piece is held in by two tabs on either side of it. Pull the tabs apart and the white piece will come out. After that is removed, you will see three gold-colored prongs. Take something non-metal (a toothpick works great) and push down on the far right prong (the one closest to the center of the vehicle). By pushing the prong, the window will raise up. Don't reinstall the white piece, or you may lower the window again. However, the black piece can be snapped back in, for cosmetic reasons. Then take it to your dealer and have them order you a new window switch unit.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Another emergency fix that worked for me as advised by my service advisor at the dealer's when on my 98 I had a problem on a holiday weekend away from home in the rain was to rock the switch handle from side to side forcibly whila at the same time pulling up on it. This will often raise the window 1/4 to 1/2 inch at a time till its all the way up. Then just leave it up till a new switch is installed. Had 3 failures on my 98.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00 ML430; '00 C230K; '01 CL500 (passed along...)
Lightbulb Stuck windows

already had the windows stuck, and switch replaced, on 2000 ML430 about 3 months ago. now window stuck down again, and local dealer says replacement part is on 6-8 week backorder! will try your temporary fix, thanks!

(also have had front door plastic seals peel off and been replaced 3 times already, and they are peeling off again; and also had the skyview roof break and stuck halfway open when the car was 3 weeks new - car was in shop 5 weeks to repair it, ugggh...) (yes, i've tried different dealerships LOL)