M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Replacing Brake Booster?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes ML430
Replacing Brake Booster?

I am about to replace the brake booster on my 1999 Mercedes ML430. I was looking at it yesterday and noticed that there is very little room to move the master cylinder out and then remove the brake booster. I am planning to unhook the master cylinder and set it to the side, then remove/replace the booster (to avoid having to bleed the break system).

Is it possible to move the fuse panel box out of the way in order to remove the master cylinder then the booster? Or is there any reasonably easy way to get the booster out? This is my first time at this repair and I believe it's pretty straight forward, but I just have zero room to move around with this.

Any ideas/tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 ML500 4JGBB75E56A053890
May I suggest to go ahead and remove the master cylinder and then add new brake fluid and bleed the brake system. If you have not changed the brake fluid before, it would be a good thing to do since you are in there anyway. That also might give you the extra room to make changing the booster a little easier even though the bleeding is now added to your job. After all, if you haven't replaced the brake fluid by now, it's been there a while and it would make sense, to me anyway, to go ahead and do that as that is minimal expense to keep everything fresh and a little less prone to future failure.