M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML350 Convert

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
ML350 Convert

Greetings,

This long note is to show everyone just how far Mercedes Dealers and Mercedes Benz USA are willing to go to resolve problem cars and keep their customers happy. So if you have a problem Mercedes Benz, approach your dealership with this posting or just call the people I mention here.

My wife and I bought a black 2001 C240 sedan with the C-1 memory package, automatic transmission, and heated seat/headlight cleaner package in March 2001. Our purchase was the first sale for our salesman and we were thrilled with our stylish and relatively inexpensive “Baby S Class”. The car has been a joy to drive when not in the shop. In defense of the dealership, which is an hour from where we live, every service call was handled perfectly. A driver would deliver a clean Mercedes loaner before my wife would leave for work. Over the last 28 months we have driven a variety of loaners including; first generation C320 sedan with the sport package, C320 Wagons, C240 Wagons, ML-320, E320 Sedan, C240 Sedan and a ML-350 Inspiration. When the service was completed, our C240 was returned with a light-detailing job to my wife at work or home.

The problems with the car included; four attempts at repairing rattles and groans from the front suspension, replacement of both front headlight assemblies, five attempts at the C1 memory seat/mirror system, three or four key replacements, ESP failure, EBD failure, disappearing mud flaps, cracked speaker grill, and two Tele-Aid upgrades. I might have missed something, but you get the gist of it, lots of little things that I never though I would get in a $33,000 car.

My wife has been a polite complainer throughout, never whiney, just disappointed. She reminded everyone we dealt with at the dealership that our neighbors always asked about our “New Car” every time a different loaner was parked in our driveway. She also told the service manager and loaner scheduler that it was a shame that we might leave the brand. After all, we’re the exact demographic that MBUSA was targeting with the “NEW C” campaign and we also know about how valuable an entry level buyer is in the luxury car segment. After the latest attempt at the recurring front rattles, we my wife decided to contact the owner of the dealership. Cheryl spoke with the owner of the dealership and asked what the dealer and MBUSA could do for us?

After a few days later the dealership sales manager called my wife and told her that since we took advantage of MBUSA Finance to buy our car there was a variety of dealer allowance money he could use to get us into a replacement car with as little pain as possible. When he said this I researched what MBUSA sales incentives were being offered to dealers. I read about the various incentives and financing offers on C-Class sedans, wagons, and MLs.

My wife and I debated the pros and cons of the ML350 and the C-320 wagons for several weeks. Most of the discussion was gas mileage vs. carrying capacity. We knew how the C-Class would drive so the sales manager arranged for two separate Thursday night through Monday night test-drive of ML-350s. The first was a basic P37 Inspiration edition. The AMG sport seats are great but the dark wood interior looks like dirty plastic according to my wife. I was more interested in the M2 convenience features but I wanted my wife to experience the car herself. The next week we drove a silver ML350 with the M2 full convenience/charcoal leather package, M5 sunroof, Bose radio/CD changer, heated seats and some lightly used all season floor mats. The exact options we wanted and the bonus of a hefty loaner/demo car discount.

With MBUSA and MB Chase Credits help the dealership offered us an aggressive trade value for our C240 with 30,000 miles on it and dramatically discounted the 3,900 mile demo silver ML350 with M2, M5, 873 heated seats, and 168 Bose stereo/CD changer. I got a three month old ML350, got out of the C240 and MB credit beat the current rate from one of the on line car loan banks. We shook hands and signed the paper work. Our sales person introduced us to his delivery assistant who showed my wife the details of the car for at least an hour past closing while I entertained our 13-month-old son.

In closing I have to admit that I still have my concerns about dependability issues on the ML350. I hope that unlike my new model year C240 that the bugs have been worked out. I think that a lot of MB dealerships need to learn a thing or two about customer service from the people at my dealership. Specifically I would like to thank our salesman and his manager for making the deal happen.

Regards
Old 08-06-2003, 11:08 PM

Can I ask how much you got this vehicle for?

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
If you want to give accolades...

you ought to name the dealer.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:28 AM

ML350
West Chester Mercedes, West Chester Pennsylvania
Bill Gallagher, Sales Associate
Old 08-11-2003, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Re: ML350 Convert

Originally posted by yellowsub
In closing I have to admit that I still have my concerns about dependability issues on the ML350. I hope that unlike my new model year C240 that the bugs have been worked out. I think that a lot of MB dealerships need to learn a thing or two about customer service from the people at my dealership. Specifically I would like to thank our salesman and his manager for making the deal happen.

Regards
I'm glad it all worked out fine for you. But don't be so cheerful yet. the 350's are good - quality has been much better from MY02. But you may be in for a shocker. I hope not, but I cna't bet on it.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:51 AM

ML350
We bought the ML350 with 3,900 miles on it. My wife and I put about 200 miles of that during our extended test drive. The ML drives like it's brand new. Hopefully any immediate out of box probelms have been addressed. We took a road trip to Jim Thorpe Pennsylvania and the car drove perfectly. The trip computer claimed 22 mpg. No offrading yet but I look forward to poking around the South Jersey Pine Barrens with a some offroad Jeep and Range Rover friends.

My wife and I are disappointed that the dealership didn't bother to take care of the power steering hose clamp recall while they had the car and waited for us to officially take delivery before handling the repair.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:32 PM

you got this treatment more than likely due to the fact that you leased through MB.

i did *not* lease through MB (rates too high; i could get a *far* better deal through my credit union) and have *never* gotten another MB as a loaner (i have been provided with a *Daewoo*!).

the problems with your original C-class are so extensive i wonder why you bought another MB product, especially the trouble-prone ML??? did you ever wonder why the vehicle was available with "only" 3,900 miles on it??? likely this was a car like your C-class that had numerous problems with it that MB "bought back" from the original owner and then resold to unsuspecting buyers...
Old 08-20-2003, 04:08 PM
Almost a Member!

MB
I have an ML350, 3 months now. One thing I don't like about it, is the noise coming from the engine even at top speeds, if I'm identifying it correctly. You have to ease up a little on the gas to get some relief from the noise. Although, I don't feel there's a lack in power because it is responsive enough. Some people might like it but its just too annoying for me. The quiet engines are now common in the SUV market (RX330, Pathfinder, Hylander, Landcruiser etc.). On occassion, when I have passengers with me, I ask them how the ride/comfort is and if they are bothered by the engine noise. They say no, and it actually rides nice considering its a truck. I don't know if its only me or they're just being nice I can tell you one thing, I would'nt be buying another ML (next generation), if this is still the case.