M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

A Few Questions About My "New-to-Me" ML320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320
Exclamation A Few Questions About My "New-to-Me" ML320

Hey everyone, I have a 1998 ML320 at about 158,500 miles, I live in Anchorage, Alaska, and I've had my Benz for about four months now and I just wanted to get your advice about some issues I've had or noticed.

First of all, I had to have the ignition lock cylinder and tumbler replaced just a couple weeks after I bought it ($945 at the stealership).

Then I had to have the alternator replaced only a couple days ago- this time I was smart though and bought a used one with a warranty and had an Indy mechanic install it for me ($250 vs. $200 for MB to even LOOK at it).

That aside, here are some less crippling issues I've noticed:

1. I have the newer style projector headlights, so they must have been replaced sometime before I bought it, right? Also, one is broken so I can't level it- where should I buy new ones? OEM headlight housing or something from the internet? I also was thinking about getting HID headlights- thoughts or suggestions?

2. My cruise control has not worked since I purchased the car- no matter what I do, nothing happens whatsoever when I try to use the CC while driving.

3. How do I tell if my traction control (ETS, 4ETS, 4-ETS, however you choose to write it out)? Once again, when I start my car I see the triangle "!" light come on in my speedometer but once I'm driving I have never once noticed any kind of traction control or lights- I live in Alaska and it is pretty snowy/icy right about now. The "!" light never comes on while driving, my wheels seem to spin freely if I'm trying drive from a stop on ice, slow speeds, etc. Basically there are no signs of ETS working AT ALL, not even a light telling me it's not working. What do I do?

4. My driver door "machine gun" locks, and doesn't open from the outside- anyone know what it might be and how I can diagnose it? I'd rather not pay to have someone tell me what they're going to charge me more money to do. I'm just a bit weary of the airbag in the door, but I can disconnect the battery right?
-A little bit more similar to the above issue: My rear passenger door isn't affected whatsoever by the electric locks, and the window doesn't seem to do anything at all either when the buttons are pressed.
-My trunk isn't affected by the electric locks either, the buttons in the car or the key fob.

5. I'm going to be buying new tires in the next few weeks. I want all-season and I was looking at the Nokian WR G2 for about $1100 installed here in Anchorage. Thoughts?

6. I'm going in for the "B" Service in a couple weeks for the first time, what should I expect? What should I make sure to ask, etc.? Will they fix anything without asking me then charge me? I was told it would be about $525- does that sound reasonable?

7. Anything else I should know about my car? Things that can be "reset," or special MB things I should look into?

When my alternator was replaced I re-synchronized the sunroof after an hour of Google-ing the issue and not noticing the 2nd fuse labeled "sunroof."

Also, here are the codes I had read at AutoZone today:

P0136 Heated Oxygen Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 2 (H02S02)

P0442 Evap System Small Leak Detected

P0141 Heated Oxygen Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0455 Evap System Large Leak Detected

P0560 Charging System Voltage Condition-battery Voltage High or Low (Pending)

My idea is that the leak could be my gas cap because my gas light has flashed a few times and I just tightened the gas cap and it stopped. Also, The battery one could be from when my alternator went out and I had to have it towed and replaced on the 29th of December 2012. I don't know what the O2 sensor could be other than the O2 sensor being defective.

Thanks in advance, I love this website!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 PM

CLK500
1 ebay
2 brake lamp switch
3 brake lamp switch
4 part A lock latch mechanism. Part B check wiring harness on the side of the door. Part C the lock solenoid is broken.
5 sound fine to me
6 they are going to tell you every thing wrong with your car expect a $5k estement.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM

ML430 2001
The p0455 error must be checked with a smoke test at a qualified indy.